Following up with potential supervisor?

coffeesleep

So a month ago, I spoke and had a lab tour with one potential professor that I would like to work with for my master's. At the end of the meeting, he told me to keep him updated during the application process and said I was one of 3 students he was considering for either 1 or 2 positions.

I just finished up my application and am just waiting on one more prof to upload their LOR, so now I'm not really sure how to reinitiate contact. Do I contact him now just tell him I'm done my part of the application, and that I included him as a professor of interest in my statement of intent? Or do I wait until my application is fully complete (all reference letters in) or even wait until I hear the result from the department?

Thanks for the help!

So a month ago, I spoke and had a lab tour with one potential professor that I would like to work with for my master's. At the end of the meeting, he told me to keep him updated during the application process and said I was one of 3 students he was considering for either 1 or 2 positions.

I just finished up my application and am just waiting on one more prof to upload their LOR, so now I'm not really sure how to reinitiate contact. Do I contact him now just tell him I'm done my part of the application, and that I included him as a professor of interest in my statement of intent? Or do I wait until my application is fully complete (all reference letters in) or even wait until I hear the result from the department?

Thanks for the help!

Email him something like:

"Thank you for speaking with me on [date] about the position in your lab. The position matches my own interests and builds upon my previous experiences. I'm very interested in engaging in the research process from [such-and-such methods to such-and-such methods]. In addition, I'm a quick learner, and I bring past laboratory experience. Thank you again for taking the time to meet with me. I'm still excited about this opportunity. Please let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, I look forward to hearing from you regarding this position. Take care."