Fabric Conference Poster

Has anyone done this before?

I'm inspired by this post:

http://labhacks.tumblr.com/post/62420107780/the-25-scrunchable-scientific-poster

Spoonflower is incredibly cheap, I'm thinking of just trying it and if it's terrible, $25 bucks isn't that much of a loss.  Plus, if it turns out amazing…well, never doing poster tubes AGAIN! We'll see if I can get my poster done in time for this and I'll post updates if I do. Just curious if anyone has gone this route. Would love to hear about it, or see some examples!

I saw this too and immediately saved it as a bookmark. I am planning to do this for my next poster presentation! I've recently checked back at spoonflower and it seems like they have even more fabric options now, maybe ones even better than "performance knit". We'll see!

$25 is an awesome price -- my paper posters print at something like $70 to $80 (to get the high quality paper). The only downside (and it's a huge one) is that the processing time and shipping time at spoonflower is very long. I would probably have to submit my poster to them at least 2 weeks before I leave for the conference. Normally, this is when I would start making a poster! So, I will try to get my stuff together faster in the future (if results are even ready) and test out this fabric poster if possible!

• 1 month later...

Just got mine back from spoonflower. Printed it on sport knit as recommended. It is about 90% of the quality I'd expect from the university printer on on photo paper. The lines are crisp, the text is clear and easy to read, the photos are sharp, the one thing is the colors are not quite as saturated as you would get from photo paper. (Think ink jet color, vs laser printer color) Will I ever print a paper poster again, not unless it is never leaving the university and someone else is paying. I payed the extra $15 for the rush, I submitted it Thursday and had it today. So, including rush shipping to Canada, $40 US. Can't beat that!!!! Sooo worth it. Oh and it is also super soft and silky will make a great scarf or swim cover when its not getting hung up ;)

I actually ended up using spoonflower as well. Best thing ever. NEVER going back to paper posters again. Felt so awesome not having to carry around a poster tube. AND it was cheaper.