Interviewing while Abroad

lingualust86

Hello all,

First time poster here! I am planning on applying to several different schools next year for admission in Fall 2015. Although each school calls it something slightly different, I am interested in Second Language Acquisition & Teaching / World Language Education. In order to gain more experience in this field, I am planning on volunteer teaching abroad next school year in South America through WorldTeach (a professional NGO founded by Harvard grads). I feel this will help me gain some perspective in the field as well as ideas for my dissertation. In fact, one of my POIs has researched international student teachers in the same country, so I think it will show a common interest and may lead to joint research on the topic. However, I am a little worried about how the application process will go with me being out of country next year. Do schools look down upon needing to do a Skype interview (since there is no way I would be able to fly back during my volunteer commitment)? Can you foresee any difficulties or challenges on my end for being out of country during the process? I plan to prepare and submit all application materials right before I leave so that there are no mail issues. 

I plan to contact each school of interest and confirm with them that they are willing to do Skype interviews (then again, I don't want to sound too presumptuous), is this okay to do or are schools generally very receptive to Skyping? The volunteer program does not start until early September, so I was thinking of visiting all of the schools in August and hopefully set up a time to meet with POIs and other students, just so that I can meet them face-to-face and see what it is like being on campus. Then if I get a Skype interview with them at least they will have met me beforehand. Does this sound like a good plan, or are there some obstacles I'm not taking into consideration? Is there a certain point in the process (even after acceptance) where I would be required to be on campus before Fall 2015? I do not want to hurt my chances of getting accepted because I am trying to be proactive and gain additional knowledge and experience that will directly relate to my studies.

Another option is to only work a semester abroad, and come home in February, but at that point I would be sitting at home for several months just for the chance of getting interviews, rather than gaining further knowledge and experience in the field...

Edited by lingualust86

I believe it is common courtesy for schools to arrange skype interviews with applicants who live abroad. All of the schools I am applying to say they will. One school says outright on the website that having a skype interview will hurt your chances  UNLESS you live outside of the U.S., so you should be fine. Everyone understands. :)

Some quick thoughts: 

- If you can't come for an on-campus visit/interview, a skype/phone interview is always an option. I don't think anyone will dismiss your application just because you can't travel on a certain date. You should keep in mind, though, that in general it's more difficult to make a good impression on someone in a phone interview than in an in-person interview because it's more difficult to "read" the other people. That said, it's entirely possible to do well in such interviews and I would not change my plans for next year just to be available for a potential interview.

- If you have several interviews or campus visits, it may be possible to combine them in such a way that they will be one 1-2 week trip. Schools often reimburse students' travel expenses to some degree and if you combine reimbursement from several schools, it could be enough to cover all your expenses. 

- I think it's premature to contact schools about potential interviews that might take place one year from now. Things will work out, you don't need to worry so much in advance.

- Meeting people over the summer is possible, but: first off, this is when people are on vacation, so it may be hard to find a good time. In addition, you will not be able to observe classes and/or students during their normal routine, because the summer is very different from the rest of the school year. I think there are advantages to meeting potential advisors, but they are limited compared to visiting after you have been admitted, for various reasons. If you can't visit later and it's not terribly expensive, it may be worth it, but it's not necessary at all. You'll get a different level of commitment and replies from people pre- and post- admissions.