Waiting it out . . .

So I thought I'd start a new thread because I'm guessing most of us are entering the horrible period when all applications are in, but decisions won't be made for another month. Or maybe it gets worse as we enter February when decisions are imminent? I'm already experiencing bouts of nausea every time I get on this site even though results won't be in for at least another 4 weeks and second guessing every aspect of my applications. Anyone else in the same boat?

This is maybe going to sound arrogant but...I'm having an awesome time since turning in my apps. A bunch more free time for the hobbies and friends I've been neglecting. I don't understand the angst. What's done is done, and  besides, you can't gett your 'grieving' or whatever out of the way until you've actually been rejected.

Then again I'm here posting on gradcafe so that probably says something about my level of 'detachment'

Edited by gatz

I'm somewhere between the OP and the last post. I'm somewhat at peace with everything and happy because I still have hope that might dreams might come true. I haven't been rejected or accepted anywhere. For at least another two weeks all I can do is wait. I have more free time and I'm less stressed out. On the other hand, I'm terrified of the possiblity of my dreams getting delayed another year or more and I can't stop the mood swings. Some days I feel like I might get multiple offers, other days I'm sure the entire adcomm will be laughing at my application. If I'm not accepted somewhere by the end of January I'm sure I'll be leaning much further toward trying to figure out the closest tall building off which I can leap.

Edited by Maleficent999

I've been pouring myself into my job to distract myself. I'm also going on a trip with a few friends a couple of weekends from now, so that will be fun.

At some points, I just assure myself that I'm going to get rejected from everywhere and realize that it won't be that bad. Life will go on. It's a strange psychological strategy, I know...

Some days I feel like I might get multiple offers, other days I'm sure the entire adcomm will be laughing at my application. If I'm not accepted somewhere by the end of January I'm sure I'll be leaning much further toward trying to figure out the closest tall building off which I can leap.

You can definitely say that again. Whenever I check the programs' websites, I feel like I'm their best fit ever, which makes me much confident. And sometimes, when I'm daydreaming mostly, I feel like I'm a horrible applicant and the adcomms will throw my app right away. Very confused feelings, it reminds with every time I took the toefl test. I was never able to expect my score. I always said to myself "my score will be either too high, or too low." :angry:  

You can definitely say that again. Whenever I check the programs' websites, I feel like I'm their best fit ever, which makes me much confident. And sometimes, when I'm daydreaming mostly, I feel like I'm a horrible applicant and the adcomms will throw my app right away. Very confused feelings, it reminds with every time I took the toefl test. I was never able to expect my score. I always said to myself "my score will be either too high, or too low." :angry:  

This might sound ignorant, but is there too high of a TOEFL score? I don't know anything about it.

I actively avoid looking at the app materials - can't change it now.

But I feel like my life is on pause while waiting. I want a new job, but starting somewhere and quitting for school would burn bridges. I want to move, but doing so means a new lease and that's not good with moving for school.

I also put my blog and social media on lockdown. I actively blogged about the field I wanted to go into. I decided to err in the side if not somehow posting an opinion that might piss someone on the adcomm off. My website has been dead since October thanks to that. So much for ad revenue.

This might sound ignorant, but is there too high of a TOEFL score? I don't know anything about it.

Alright, I mean surprisingly high score that I thought would be beyond my reach, like 115+/120? Mine was 101/120, which was pretty much satisfying for me.  

I haven't looked at any of my app materials since turning them in. I think this is smart, however I do keep thinking about how I could make them better. When I finished them all in December I was elated, but maybe the cold weather and January slump has taken away that confidence. But, yes, what's done is done, and maybe I should take a vacation. Or just pour myself into my job, which is likely more feasible. :)

Yep!

It is done. Nothing we can do now.

I do worry a bit about my SOP - it could have been worked over and over again (like a child beauty pageant contestant). So it is not ' "technically" "perfect" ' but it is me. It's a great representation of who I am.

I haven't looked at any of my app materials since turning them in. I think this is smart, however I do keep thinking about how I could make them better. When I finished them all in December I was elated, but maybe the cold weather and January slump has taken away that confidence. But, yes, what's done is done, and maybe I should take a vacation. Or just pour myself into my job, which is likely more feasible. :)

I actually re-read my writing sample this morning and felt pretty good about it.

It's not as if I could really change anything, but I'm not sure that I would have even if I could.

I have a couple more apps due within the next few weeks, but I'm feeling fairly calm about the whole situation. I've definitely avoided revisiting app materials though. I can only imagine that I'd fine some ridiculous error to bang my head into the wall about lol