African-American Studies 2014

African American studies @ Yale and Northwestern. American Studies @ Purdue. I applied to history @ Northwestern originally but a prof called and asked if I would like to apply to the Afam studies department instead.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I applied to Georgia State for Af Am Studies and Clark Atlanta for Africana Women's Studies. Their deadlines aren't until March 1st, so I'm gonna be waiting.

I also applied to North Carolina A&T for African American Lit, also.

Edited by LexHex

So, to anyone who is applying to Brown: how do you check your application status on the website? Does the graduate school use a site external to applyweb?

Congrats on the acceptances, by the way!

Edited by Peter Frampton

@trapscholar: Congrats on Brown! Did you post your acceptance in the results section of the forum? Also, you may have been waitlisted by Harvard. Don't give up yet!

Thanks!!! I posted my acceptance on feb 12. I'm hoping harvard takes longer to decide on international students, or i've been waitlisted. Anything but a dreaded rejection!! I'm very grateful for brown though. Good luck to you!

Thanks!!! I posted my acceptance on feb 12. I'm hoping harvard takes longer to decide on international students, or i've been waitlisted. Anything but a dreaded rejection!! I'm very grateful for brown though. Good luck to you!

I love that your user name is trapscholar.  I take it that you're interested in cultural studies, particularly hip-hop?  

I love that your user name is trapscholar.  I take it that you're interested in cultural studies, particularly hip-hop?

Actually my research focus is on the spatial imperatives of death and catastrophe in the afrodiaspora, with focus on the americas. You're right about me being positively obsessed with all things hip hop though! My friends nicknamed me trapscholar because of my somewhat unapologetic approach to academia haha.

Have applied to 12 schools (English, African American studies, and  American Studies programs) and haven't been accepted anywhere yet, unfortunately. The beginning of last week was a hot mess -- 3 rejections in 24 hours. Rough. 5 rejections total.

By some magic, I did get an interview at UPenn though! I think it went well, but I'm not sure what will happen AND THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME!