AmeriCorps NCCC Program

Happydays2

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of applying to the AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) program for Fall 2014, if I'm not attending a grad program next year. Has anyone here done this program before? Care to share your experience, please? Or anyone have any info regarding AmeriCorps in general, I don't know any AmeriCorps Alums. From the website, the program sounds great, but it would be awesome to hear some first-hand experiences with AmeriCorps.

All input appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there, I'm currently on my fifth month as an Americorps VISTA. I see you are pursuing philosophy, which was my major in undergrad! Hurrah.

AmeriCorps houses various volunteer programs so it depends on what your interests are. If you like "being in the trenches" of service so to speak, NCCC might be for you as from what I understand it is more about direct service. As someone interested in public admin/policy I was attracted to VISTA which focuses on building capacity in organizations to fight poverty (thus being more indirect, typically office-type work).

I'm assuming you want to pursue an MA/PhD in Phil? Overall I hands down support these programs, they are great character building regardless of your academic goals. I personally find VISTA will heavily inform my future work in a way that research simply can't. in addition it is looked on positively by my grad programs (fee waivers, etc) since I am pursuing public policy, which is oriented to public service.

I am glad I pursued this program but I can't deny it also was challenging. I have heard this from Americorps alumni and somehow thought I would be different, but I too struggled. Feel free to message me if you're curious to hear more about it because I feel I am writing too much already haha. 

One last thing I'd like to mention about NCCC is that they offer courses you could take to get certified in non-profit admin (I think it was that) by the time your term is over. Could be worth looking into!

Hi there, I'm currently on my fifth month as an Americorps VISTA. I see you are pursuing philosophy, which was my major in undergrad! Hurrah.

AmeriCorps houses various volunteer programs so it depends on what your interests are. If you like "being in the trenches" of service so to speak, NCCC might be for you as from what I understand it is more about direct service.

I'm assuming you want to pursue an MA/PhD in Phil? Overall I hands down support these programs, they are great character building regardless of your academic goals. I personally find VISTA will heavily inform my future work in a way that research simply can't.

I am glad I pursued this program but I can't deny it also was challenging. I have heard this from Americorps alumni and somehow thought I would be different, but I too struggled. Feel free to message me if you're curious to hear more about it because I feel I am writing too much already haha. 

Thank you so much for your reply. I am pursuing a MA/PhD in Phil and I'm looking for something to do for a gap year. AmeriCorps interests me because I really enjoy service and want to spend my time doing something meaningful. I believe you when you write "I personally find VISTA will heavily inform my future work in a way that research simply can't." I'm looking for this kind of real world experience too, especially because the philosophy I hope to focus on in grad school, in my opinion, require real world, outside the classroom, experiences. But, above all, in all honesty, I have nothing to do for a year so I want to spend it in the most meaningful way possible before starting grad school.

It's nice to hear NCCC is more direct service, that's what I'm looking for, and I find it a little awkard to admit, but I am looking for something "character building" :).

Thanks again, and Cheers, fellow Philosophy undergrad! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I am currently an AmeriCorps state member in West Virginia. I graduated from undergrad in May, and I started this in August. It is an amazing program! I love my placement in a homeless shelter, and I feel like AmeriCorps really allows you to find out what you like to do and lets you follow any path while you're serving. For example, I work all day, but I am also able, because of AmeriCorps, to serve at other sites when I want to to get hours. I am able to serve my community in so many ways. It also looks amazing on a resume, and is more personally fulfilling than my time in college. Good luck! 

I'm a state Americorps member in North Carolina. There are SO many Americorps programs that are so different from each other, that it's tough to compare them! I work with a literacy program at a university, and mostly interact with students, tutors, and community partners. Other programs allow you to work on organic farms, clear hiking trails, work in homeless shelters or with people with disabilities... there are tons of programs to choose from.

Since I work at a university, I'm getting a good look at what goes on behind the scenes in university departments while also doing service. The different trainings that Americorps requires I go to are also great for professional development. Best of all, you get an education stipend at the end which you can use for grad school (though it will only put a very slight dent in the cost, it's better than nothing!)

I won't lie, living on the stipend is tough. They encourage you to get on food stamps and government assistance to get by. There is also a ton of annoying red tape and paperwork due to Americorps being such a big program run by so many different departments. However, I still think that the trouble is worth the experience.

To piggyback on what everyone else has already said...definitely look at NCCC as well as the State/National programs for more hands-on service. I served last year in a State program tutoring in Kindergarten and First grade literacy in an inner-city school. It was an AMAZING experience. I learned so much and got extensive and valuable training that I continue to use and is very marketable in my field. Not to mention the feeling of DOING something important that I ended every work week with.

In my eyes, the only downside is the living stipend is tight. But with help from things like foodstamps and extra babystting/odd jobs here and there I made it work. And it was well worth it.

Plus, now I know I have that $5,500 education award to use towards grad school when/if I get in. 

• 3 weeks later...