In case you messed up like I did

GrammaticalFiction

Hey all,

I sent in my first 5 applications (Columbia, Northwestern, Chicago, Purdue, Penn State) with a huge mistake (a half completed sentence that ended a paragraph) in my writing sample. I only discovered the issue a few days ago, and thought all hope was lost with those programs.

But all hope isn't lost. If you've made a mistake like I did, some programs are willing to let you fix the issue. Just contact the graduate admissions officer via email and explain the mistake.

I hope this helps someone.

That's good to know! I imagine that most adcoms are also understanding when it comes to typos and such. Even though a half-completed sentence might feel like a huge mistake, I don't think it would torpedo your chances necessarily. 

I recently looked over all my submitted applications to check to see that my GRE scores were verified and noticed that one of the appllications did not actually get submitted and another is showing that I'm missing a number of materials...Not good. 

I recently looked over all my submitted applications to check to see that my GRE scores were verified and noticed that one of the appllications did not actually get submitted and another is showing that I'm missing a number of materials...Not good. 

Same thing happened to me with my Penn State app. I just emailed Dr. Lawlor and he told me that, since my scores were self-reported, I'd be okay for the mean time, but that they'd eventually need to see official documentation. I'd send the department an email.

Same thing happened to me with my Penn State app. I just emailed Dr. Lawlor and he told me that, since my scores were self-reported, I'd be okay for the mean time, but that they'd eventually need to see official documentation. I'd send the department an email.

Yeah after a moment of panic, I emailed the departments in question.  Of course, it's the weekend so I'll probably have to wait until monday to hear back. The thing is, I kept record of all of the apps that were actually paid for and submitted---somehow I still goofed...to err is to be human I guess. 

Hopephily it all works out as both programs are high on my list...

Edited by Hopephily

Just an update in case it serves someone else here. There was one program for which I had filled out the application, but neglected to submit it on time. A second program showed (on the application website) that my supplemental materials were not uploaded.  I contacted both departments and the first program allowed me to submit the application.  The second program verified that they had my materials and so there must be something going on with their system.  The moral being, it isn't a bad idea to look up all your applications post-submission-- just to make sure you didn't miss anything.  If you did miss something, then contact the department (as the OP said). 

Really? How did you ask them? I made a similar mistake and have been torn about whether to ask

As someone who used to process writing samples in a graduate admissions office, it happens all the time. They really won't care, just let them know and email them the updated sample. 

Yes, I realized that I had sent the wrong personal statement to three schools (two sentences were on it that didn't belong). I contacted the departments and it really isn't a big deal, even if they don't replace the wrong one with the corrected copy I sent.