Does deadline extension mean fewer applicants this year?

EliZhang

Hi, guys~ Just a quick questions here. 

I was just wondering how you would interpret a program extending its deadline again and again. Does that mean fewer applicants this year? In fact, I applied for NYU's ITP under the Tisch School of the Arts. It's initial deadline (Dec. 1) was extended to 1.8, 2014, but then on its website, it says it's still receiving application on a case by case basis. What do you say about this? 

Well it could mean that they didn't get as many applicants as they expected.  It could also mean their website had a technical glitch and people had trouble applying.  Or maybe they received additional funds which created more spaces for students.  Who knows, the point is if you still want to apply you can so go for it.

It also happens that some schools do something akin to this every year, as with a deadline inevitably someone forgets to add something or their documents come late.

By setting a pseduo deadline and then extending it, you can often negate such issues.

Hi, guys~ Just a quick questions here. 

I was just wondering how you would interpret a program extending its deadline again and again. Does that mean fewer applicants this year? In fact, I applied for NYU's ITP under the Tisch School of the Arts. It's initial deadline (Dec. 1) was extended to 1.8, 2014, but then on its website, it says it's still receiving application on a case by case basis. What do you say about this? 

I don't know about across the board, but NYU extended winter break due to the weather.  They may have changed the deadline because days were lost due to the unexpected closure.