Advice Needed: Is it too late to pursue further education in Art History?

Natalie77

I graduated thirteen years ago with a BFA in Art History. My other concentration was in Communication Design. Afterwards, I worked as a graphic designer for six years and became a exhibiting oil painter. I completed a Masters degree in Art Education and worked in the public school sector for another six years. The economy, lack of jobs and generally not knowing what I wanted to pursue played a part in these decisions. Now I have come to the conclusion that I would like to revisit the art history field again and pursue further education. Is it too late considering that I worked in fields other than art history and I have been out of academia for awhile?

it's never too late. I'm going back to art history after pursuing a career in a field that's not related to art history at all for 7 years. my take is that you never want to look back on your life later and wonder what if. 

Well, it depends on what you want to do with your degree and what kind of degree you want to get? If it's an MA, there's not a whole lot you can do with it. If it's a PhD, are you OK with doing another 7-8 years of school? Are you willing to face the absolutely dismal employment prospects after you finish--which for you, being older, might be even more dismal (sad but true, but schools often like to hire younger candidates)? If your reasons are personal, and financial concerns don't play much into it, go ahead. Otherwise, make sure you have your eyes open to the very real chalenges you'll face and ask yourself if you're willing to deal with the necessary sacrifices and possible disappointments that you'll encounter. 

Edited by condivi

Well, it depends on what you want to do with your degree and what kind of degree you want to get? If it's an MA, there's not a whole lot you can do with it. If it's a PhD, are you OK with doing another 7-8 years of school? Are you willing to face the absolutely dismal employment prospects after you finish--which for you, being older, might be even more dismal (sad but true, but schools often like to hire younger candidates)? If your reasons are personal, and financial concerns don't play much into it, go ahead. Otherwise, make sure you have your eyes open to the very real challenges you'll face and ask yourself if you're willing to deal with the necessary sacrifices and possible disappointments that you'll encounter. 

I think it really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be a professor? Then you need a PhD. But to work in a museum, a museum studies or art history MA could suffice as long as you're not aiming for head of a curatorial dept. 

I think it really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be a professor? Then you need a PhD. But to work in a museum, a museum studies or art history MA could suffice as long as you're not aiming for head of a curatorial dept. 

Hmmm...except for a few local museums, if you want to be a curator at any level you'll a PhD these days. With an MA, you could do museum ed, but even some of those people have PhDs now!

Hmmm...except for a few local museums, if you want to be a curator at any level you'll a PhD these days. With an MA, you could do museum ed, but even some of those people have PhDs now!

An MA in Museum Studies could easily lend to registrar/collections work, education, event planning, fundraising/grant writing, etc. This is not strictly "studying art" but then, most museum jobs are not strictly that to begin with. At any rate, I wouldn't bank on a curatorial job with only an MA (despite having interned under a curator who only had an MA), but certainly other jobs exist (having interned under an educator with only an MA). It just takes awhile to get these jobs, no matter who you are. 

I graduated thirteen years ago with a BFA in Art History. My other concentration was in Communication Design. Afterwards, I worked as a graphic designer for six years and became a exhibiting oil painter. I completed a Masters degree in Art Education and worked in the public school sector for another six years. The economy, lack of jobs and generally not knowing what I wanted to pursue played a part in these decisions. Now I have come to the conclusion that I would like to revisit the art history field again and pursue further education. Is it too late considering that I worked in fields other than art history and I have been out of academia for awhile?

My situation is similar to yours

Edited by syrena