Two recommenders from the same department that I'm applying to

Pavi

I did an internship at Northwestern University last summer, under the senior-most professor in the department (Materials Science). On account of my performance, he and a research assistant professor agreed to write letters for me.

My aim now, is to get into Northwestern.

So, when the admissions committee at Northwestern sees my application and that two recommendations are from people whom they see everyday and have a relationship with, what will their first thought be?

I'm concerned as they might think I'm trying a shortcut to get into the department. Please tell me they won't.

Btw, I'm guessing both letters will be very strong.

Edited by Pavi

It'll bode well for you. Admissions won't think much of it. At worst they'll not realize the connection, whip out their red pen, mark up the letters and rubric score them as if they were from anywhere.

They'll probably recognize them though and it'll be to your benefit.

Agreed.  When I applied for my MA, two of my recommenders were from the department to which I was applying.  Worked out okay.

@@jamc8383,

Would you say that those two letters were a dominant factor for your admission to the school?

All three of the my letters were from faculty at my top choice school (two in the department I was applying to, one in another department).  I did my undergrad at a neighboring institution, and my research advisor had appointments at both of the universities. It worked out for me, and I do think that it was a major factor in getting in for me, especially since I was switching fields a bit (bioengineering to CS).

@@jamc8383,

Would you say that those two letters were a dominant factor for your admission to the school?

I think they may have made up for deficiencies in my undergraduate record.  Having someone from the institution to which you're applying testify to your ability to do the work that that institution requires probably alleviates any concerns to the contrary.