SOP not even read by AdCom

I thought I'd start this post over here, because it's worth pointing out.

The adcom at the program I applied to appears to not even have read the SOP I submitted. In their defense, they seem to have also ignored my resume which had some overlapping information.

I say this with confidence as I was contacted about providing clarification for my portfolio and the questions posed to me were blatantly answered in my SOP and resume. We're not even talking something they may have overlooked or that I was vague about - we're talking the meaty information I put front and center. My "proud" points as it were.

And perplexed by my application - despite having those documents - the adcom asked questions that were practically insulting given the circumstances. Like they had no idea what my SOP or resume even said.

I come from the arts, so a lot of time it's hard to convey the right sort of idea to others here who work in the other humanities and sciences.. but to give a vague idea, imagine your body of work was something like, I dunno, tight rope walking.

Yes, your skill is tight rope walking and you apply to Tight-Rope U for their Masters of Rope Walking. You submit a portfolio, resume, and SOP that talk about your tightrope work, experience, etc..

The AdCom in turn asks "Did you walk on the rope yourself?" and "Can you give us more information about any SCUBA certification?"

Le sigh.

So.. just keep in mind, your SOP might not even get read. Try to keep your whole app "good" as having a good SOP and resume wont mean diddly if they don't read it.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Did you respond to their email with something like, "I'm a bit confused. It was all addressed in my SOP and CV. Is there anything specific you would like to know?" Don't kiss their ass and let them treat you like shit. I know they have all the power in this situation and most people are willing to put up with their shit. But if it's to the point where it's insulting, then fuck them. 

I did, well, they called, asked, said "ok, just need you to write even two lines saying that for your file.." and i was like "ok.." and the other stuff he said he'd get a firm answer from the adcom on what they'd want to see and how. But after the "WTF" wore off, i sent a follow up email where I addressed most things - and stated that I was.. I used the words "aghast" "mortified" etc.. I said i was confused as to why it needed to be restated my book was my own work when my SOP, resume, etc.. all say as much.

Haven't heard anything back yet.

Probably not the best idea. Good luck tho.

There has been follow up since, and it appears I didn't sink the ship. There were apologies for implying that my work was not my own, not what they meant, etc.. but at the same time tempered with "but many students do try to pass off collaborative or other people's work as their own."

Eww. Well, good thing I'm not one of them. We also talked about how my SOP states all that and it's on my resume, and I was confused as to why it was questioned.

"Well, they may have overlooked it.."

"It's the primary/leading point of the SOP. It's not a footnote, it's the fundamental thesis. Like "look at this amazing thing I did after leaving grad school" - that was the point of it."

"Well these were the notes from just one person, and I should have caught that, I'll let them know."

That aside, had a decent discussion about the requirements being vague, possibly off the mark for the actual major, and that the program is tiny, new, and no one really knows what to do with it - so admissions is learning what to look for from the applicants and professors as they go. They want to change the prompts and requirements to fit better.

And I was assured my application would be reviewed in whole, holistically, and that they look at the entire student/applicant, and no one thing would sink me.

Also, that my lack of "SCUBA" (as per my ridiculous example) would not put me on the reject heap, that I was not already on the reject heap or the cusp of the reject heap, and that I could supply more materials to show my ability for SCUBA - If I wanted to. That my app would be considered fully as it was, and it was entirely optional on my part to provide more stuff, and not doing so would not be held against me. 

So obviously I'm giving them what they asked for. I figure this last minute lack of sleep random "assignment" is like grad school prep. I'm telling myself if I can't handle this level of stress without cracking I wont last a week back in school. So far it's going ok. Thank god for google for the bits of the process I've essentially forgotten how to do. It's like riding a bike.. if bikes were completely awful and more difficult than you remember them being.

Oh, and apparently the dean of admissions knows my app exists because of the drawn out timeline - the looong time in limbo with the committee has raised his eyebrows from what I was told. He's watching it to see how it plays out. 

I don't know if that's good or bad, but I can't afford to think like that right now. I need to come up with a plan to save Peta and off the careers while still appearing sympathetic to the audience... err, "prove SCUBA ability."

Five pieces?!?! Five pieces... by Monday? "Entirely optional" my butt..

*walks off muttering, pencils in hair*