Philosophy Grad Cafe Pool: Which Day is D-Day?

MattDest

You might have seen this at baby showers, when everybody picks a day they think the baby will be born. Let's pick what day we think the first results will drop. I'm going to guess Jan 24th. 

(EDIT: I just realized bsg had already posted an acceptance. So, when the next news will drop.)

Edited by MattDest

I've heard that it sometimes happens that a department will call admitted applicants (especially those admitted relatively early on). I find this very off-putting. It's almost like an invasion of privacy. I don't want to talk to anyone on the phone about this! (Of course, I'll be rejected everywhere, so I won't have to face this problem, but still ...)

I've heard that it sometimes happens that a department will call admitted applicants (especially those admitted relatively early on). I find this very off-putting. It's almost like an invasion of privacy. I don't want to talk to anyone on the phone about this! (Of course, I'll be rejected everywhere, so I won't have to face this problem, but still ...)

I worked in graduate admissions (Emerson College, usually MAs/MFAs for arts programs) and we did call students. It was seen as a nice perk, a personal touch. If they call, be excited, say thank you, and hang up when you're done. 

I find your perspective interesting. What makes talking on the phone different from, say, receiving an email or letter?

Why do you feel like a phone call is an invasion of privacy?

I'd let John McDowell invade my privacy, if you know what I mean. (I mean, I would be vigorously ethusiastic to receive a personal phone call from John McDowell telling me that I'm good enough to be his student)

The "invasion of privacy" point was somewhat of an exaggeration. I certainly don't think that most phone calls are invasions of privacy. I can also understand why a program might think that a call is a "nice perk," as philosophe put it. The director of graduate studies might imagine that a call would be a welcome break from the comparatively impersonal e-mail exchange.

One reason why I wouldn't want a call is because there is an element of "pressure." I would be expected to respond instantly, immediately after hearing what the caller asks or tells me. Even if all there is to say is something like "Thank you, I'm honored," I would worry about sounding appropriately grateful, about not interrupting, about the length of the call, and so on. Some of you probably wouldn't worry about such things. I would. Others might as well. I would have more time to think about how to respond if I were e-mailed or sent a letter. The pressure wouldn't be there to impress right away.

Secondly, I think there is a theatrical element to a call such as this that is borderline unethical. I can't help but suspect that the caller derives some pleasure from hearing the "thank yous," the sighs of relief, the involuntary gasps or expressions of joy. I would feel like he was exploiting my vulnerability and anxiety for his own satisfaction, even if his intentions were perfectly good.

Edited by DHumeDominates

The "invasion of privacy" point was somewhat of an exaggeration. I certainly don't think that most phone calls are invasions of privacy. I can also understand why a program might think that a call is a "nice perk," as philosophe put it. The director of graduate studies might imagine that a call would be a welcome break from the comparatively impersonal e-mail exchange.

One reason why I wouldn't want a call is because there is an element of "pressure." I would be expected to respond instantly, immediately after hearing what the caller asks or tells me. Even if all there is to say is something like "Thank you, I'm honored," I would worry about sounding appropriately grateful, about not interrupting, about the length of the call, and so on. Some of you probably wouldn't worry about such things. I would. Others might as well. I would have more time to think about how to respond if I were e-mailed or sent a letter. The pressure wouldn't be there to impress right away.

Secondly, I think there is a theatrical element to a call such as this that is borderline unethical. I can't help but suspect that the caller derives some pleasure from hearing the "thank yous," the sighs of relief, the involuntary gasps or expressions of joy. I would feel like he was exploiting my vulnerability and anxiety for his own satisfaction, even if his intentions were perfectly good.

There's absolutely a self-serving point to it. After months of vetting students and finally selecting the chosen few, it's nice on both sides to share in the joy. At least that's the thought. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you don't want to speak with them, don't pick up for unknown numbers, they'll leave you a message, and you can follow up by email. 

By the way, this is totally unrelated, but can you guys believe that Boulder got zero funding for philosophy this year?  There goes an additional 5 spots, as if the competition wasn't fierce already. I wonder what the deal is, that must be awful for the department not to mention totally embarrassing to refund the app fees.  Thoughts?

For some reason, I've assumed that the absolute earliest I could expect to hear from a school is January 28th/29thish. 

I can't believe the time is actually approaching!

I have been really busy and distracted (just went on a week-long vacation, have started teaching again, am just really busy with family, friends, etc.), so much so that I haven't thought about Ph.D. acceptance as much as I was in November and most of December. My "not obsessing" and being so busy actually worries me, though.  I almost feel (lol :) ) like the more obsessed people will get acceptances because they, like, karmically deserve it based on thinking about it more than I have?  (this is what runs through my mind...)

Anyway, I really hope to hear from at least one school at the end of January, even if it's a rejection.  It's like I just want some answers, even if it's knowing for sure that I'm NOT going to a particular school -- it's a little satisfaction, a little bit less "not knowing."

About receiving phone call offers of admissions...I'm fine with it.

Edited by purpleperson

DHumeDominates

Posted Today, 07:49 AM

Secondly, I think there is a theatrical element to a call such as this that is borderline unethical. I can't help but suspect that the caller derives some pleasure from hearing the "thank yous," the sighs of relief, the involuntary gasps or expressions of joy. I would feel like he was exploiting my vulnerability and anxiety for his own satisfaction, even if his intentions were perfectly good

I definitely sympathize with your point about phone calls; I was also quite stressed and awkward when I received them. But in retrospect, I think the phone call is a very low-pressure environment and all the anxiety I had was a product of my own mind. The callers I heard from sounded genuinely excited to share the good news with me. It's difficult to convey enthusiasm to a stranger through email and so that's why I think some places opt for a phone call instead of an email. (In my head, I imagine the caller fighting for my admission with the committee and having won a long, hard battle, they're just as thrilled with the results as I am). 

The calls also tended to be short and had a predictable structure: we ad coms just finished admissions, congrats, more information to come in email or we hope you'll visit us, congrats again. To be honest, the caller did most of the talking and though I felt pressured to give an acceptance/thank you speech of sorts at the time, I really think it's perfectly appropriate for you to simply say thank you. There is neither a need nor an expectation for you to give a grand speech or to go into detail about whether you'll attend the program, visit it, or why you applied there in the first place. 

And for the places that notified me through email, my responses to their acceptance emails were just as awkward. And I struggled to come up with something meaningful to say aside from thank you. So there's plenty of opportunity for emails to go awry too :-)