Is it worth the risk?

CJMSW

I've been going back and forth trying to figure out what MSW program to apply to for a few months now. My biggest issue has been trying to find a program I can complete while working full time. I know many people on the board say that working full time while going through the MSW program can be extremely difficult and is typically not recommended.

That being said, I've debated perhaps just resigning from my position so that I can attend grad school full time. This seems like a major risk though. The job market isn't amazing right now so the idea of leaving a job that I love (on most days) to go to grad school and graduate to potentially not find a job quickly makes me nervous. In my position now I started off at 40k, which seems to be a starting rate for those graduating with their MSW, and I supervise a team of 6 case managers. Before this position I was a case manager for a disaster relief organization, so I have a decent amount of experience which I'm hoping will help with getting a job after grad school if I do attend.

Does it seem like too big of a risk to leave a position that is already paying decently well for a starting salary, in which I'm able to take on clients as I choose, and supervise the case management team in a field I love (Military, Veterans,and their families) to go to grad school and not be guaranteed a better position upon graduating and floundering in student loan debt?

I'd love any feedback, especially for those who have graduated recently and are looking for jobs/landed a position.

Thank you!

It may be worth your while to consider part time programs, either locally or online. If you aren't in a rush to graduate and you're happy where you're at now, what are the advantages of quitting your job to go back to school?

I am still in the group which believes that a Master degree will put you always a step forward and you theoretically you might be able to earn more.

I think an Online or Part-time MSW might be a better option for you if you don't want to leave your job! I think  a MSW will bring not only new opportunities but also a new vision. If you have a managerial position you should be able to earn more than 40K: 

http://www.gradschools.com/search-programs/social-work-msw/social-worker-salary  

I will recommend you not to leave your job but trying to balance both. Many people are doing both, You should have in mind that it will be a period of time that will end and will bring you a better job! Try to look as from a positive perspective and enjoy the challenge. 

I think it's worth it ! 

Edited by Iamasocialworker

I agree with lamasocialworker in that a master's degree will help you delve into the subject matter at a much deeper level.  However, please keep in mind that the statistics reported by the Dept of Labor regarding earnings includes earnings for social workers at all levels (not just entry level).