Many Enigmas about Admission

Platonist

I am really puzzled by many strange things about admission and application for PhD program: 

(1) The job market for philosophy PhDs is among the worst among all fields, which is probably known by every applicant, so why do people continue to choose to pursue a PhD in philosophy? For the most time that I checked the information on every philosophy graduate program, I found that almost every PhD program in philosophy receives more than 200 applications, and there is only 4 or 5 spaces available. This fact really stresses me out. 

(2) I saw a guy (Swagato, actually) in this forum that s/he did not receive any offer for the first time s/he applied. But he got into *Yale* at the second time. How comes such a huge difference? 

(3) It seems every applicant makes reference to the Philosophy Gourmet Report (PGR) when choosing schools to apply to, but is it completely wise to do so? Have you applied to any programs that are not listed in the PGR? 

Edited by Platonist

With regard to #2, that is not at all uncommon for a PhD program in any discipline. As you point out, many programs may average 200 applicants a year and admit 4-5 students. There must be far, far more very qualified applicants than there are spots (such as the person you reference.) The application process is also far, far more subjective than undergrad or even an MA program, which means that reasons for a person being rejected sometimes have absolutely nothing to do with his/her actual abilities. Sometimes it can have a lot to do with the internal politics of a department (e.g. you POI can only take one student this year while next year he/she will take two or three.)

Edited by marXian

marXian has it for #2.

As for #3, the PGR is not the end all be all, but it's a good guide. Someone might have a very personal reason to apply to a non-PGR university, but I suspect any unlisted program will be weaker than any listed program. Of course, if you're interested in continental philosophy, the PGR probably means little to you.

As for #1, many people believe (falsely) that they're good enough to make it. Many people also cannot imagine themselves doing anything else with their lives, either rightly or wrongly.

I am really puzzled by many strange things about admission and application for PhD program: 

(1) The job market for philosophy PhDs is among the worst among all fields, which is probably known by every applicant, so why do people continue to choose to pursue a PhD in philosophy? For the most time that I checked the information on every philosophy graduate program, I found that almost every PhD program in philosophy receives more than 200 applications, and there is only 4 or 5 spaces available. This fact really stresses me out. 

(2) I saw a guy (Swagato, actually) in this forum that s/he did not receive any offer for the first time s/he applied. But he got into *Yale* at the second time. How comes such a huge difference? 

(3) It seems every applicant makes reference to the Philosophy Gourmet Report (PGR) when choosing schools to apply to, but is it completely wise to do so? Have you applied to any programs that are not listed in the PGR? 

(1) We all believe we're special, and will make it through. Partly, it's because we're young. Partly, it's because we're ignorant. And partly, it's because we're hopeful.

(2) Different committees, more time to tailor her application and work on her sample, beef up her letters, etc. Perhaps Yale had a free supervision slot that second year that it didn't have the first. But probably, it came down to luck. When 200-300+ files are being reviewed, there's not that much difference between those selected and thus just under them. It's the same when you're grading, actually. Most of the grades end up being pretty arbitrary.

(3) It's an excellent and well organized starting point. Many people get carried away with it, true, but it's still a very good place to start. (IMO it's a bad place to end, however!)