How much did you spend in the process of applying?

Jahiliyya

I know the overall cost of the application process is largely tied to how many programs you decide to apply to. But there are a lot of different costs involved, and they may vary from person to person.

How much did you spend overall? How many schools did you apply to? What were the different costs involved (application fees, GRE, transcripts, visiting schools, etc)?

$600 or $700. I applied to five schools that each had an application fee of between $85 and $100. On top of that, I paid the $25 fee to get my GRE scores sent to the schools that required them and the $8 fee it took to have my transcript sent from my school.

I spent a similar amount (got a couple of fee waivers). Congrats on your CIPA acceptance, Jufarius87!

Many Thanks! While I was researching degrees I was very impressed with the Bush School. My enitre family is in New York though so it was natural to apply to schools in the Northeast. Best of Luck!

I can't remember specific numbers but, to be honest, I felt like I spent too much.  I applied to several schools that I knew I was unlikely to attend unless I received funding, the odds of which were extremely low.  Even more than the monetary cost, I do wish I had saved myself the time and stress of going through those application processes!

I definitely spent WAY TOO MUCH

In application fees ALONE, I probably spent something like 600 USD.

Another 150 or so USD on GRE, and 50 USD on transcripts.

One school I applied to send TWO COPIES of my official transcripts.

TWO F**KING COPIES.

I don't know why they think they're so special, when all of the other schools (except one, which had a specific reason for requesting my transcript) I've applied to were fine with a scanned pdf file for the purpose of an application... (sigh) 

Exactly $347.

The cheapest school I applied to was Michigan ($65) and the most expensive USC ($85). I applied to two other schools both $80 each and then paid $25 for the GRE score (to just one school! If only I had accurately predicted all 4 schools I wanted to apply to when I was taking the exam), and $12 for one of the transcripts. It's very slightly more than I expected, but not tooooo much.

• 2 weeks later...

I only spent $50, which was the application fee.  I already have a graduate degree; therefore, I didn't need to re-take the GREs and the admissions committee already had my transcripts on file from the last time I graduated from their school.  Painless! 

I took the GRE in 2012, so I didn't spend it this year, and I was able to get most application fees waived thanks to my Peace Corps service. Unfortunately, I didn't have my first 4 GRE score reports sent to any school I ended up applying to, so I ended up spending about $150 on the application fees that weren't waived, probably the same on GRE score reports, and $20 or so on transcript requests.