Rescheduling Interviews?

iphi

I have two invitations for February 7, and one for February 6. They are in MA, IN & IA, so pretty far apart. I heard from one of the Feb 7 schools (IN) a week before the other two, so I have already accepted their invitation. I was hoping to attend the Feb 6 interview (MA) and then fly to the one I have already RSVPed to (IN). The problem is, between the flight times and the shuttle service for the trip from the airport to the school I wouldn't arrive until exact time the interview starts! And that's barring any delays. So I would be flustered, lost, exhausted and have to show up with my luggage. Basically a terrible situation.

So my question is, how big a deal is it to reschedule an interview? I don't want the schools to think I am not interested, or for my chances to go down because I couldn't attend the visit day. The school whose invitation I have already accepted does group interviews, so it is very important that I be there. However, the other two schools have individual interviews and a tour; pretty basic, and (hopefully) easy to make up!

So what's the etiquette on this? How do I reschedule gracefully? Can I mention other visits? Does it make me seem less interested or lower my chances at all? I know that talking to/going out to dinner or staying with grad students is an important part of the process. I won't get that if I miss the visits, but I don't know what to do. :(

You should let the schools know about your conflicting schedule. I think no one will be upset at you if you gave priority to the one that invited you first and you already RSVP'ed to. I think this is a safe and fair way to assign priority without sounding like one school interests you more than another.

So, in your shoes, I would let the MA school know that you had already planned on attending the IN school interview on Feb 7 and could they please schedule on a different date? 

Edit: Oh also, I think it doesn't hurt to follow the policy of "bringing solutions, not just problems", so you might want to suggest some dates that could work for you instead (so that they don't suggest another day that is also not good) and mention that you would be able to fly directly from MA school to IN school (and save time/money for everyone) if you had your MA interview on Feb 5, or something. But be careful to not step on any toes or sound like you are telling them what you want the schedule to be! 

Edited by TakeruK

An anecdote and some advice: 

At my school we try and schedule our (post-acceptance) open house with other prominent competitors' open house dates in mind, so applicants who go to several of them don't encounter any conflicts. During the open house prospies get to sit in on classes, meet with professors, attend a reception event in the department, and go out to lunch with some students. Each prospie gets a "day host" that is responsible for getting the prospie to where they need to go according to their schedule, and a "night host," who hosts the person overnight. You get lots of opportunities to talk to people and see everyone in action. However, most years there are people who can't make the open house for one reason or another. Those people can then come whenever they have time; they will get a day host and night host like everyone else, they will attend classes and meet with whoever is there. They miss the reception event and instead get taken out by students, and they get to see the department on a more normal day. There are pros and cons to both, and we don't judge anyone for having a scheduling conflict. 

If I were you, I'd choose two of the three and inform them you can't make their scheduled interview date. No one should be upset because of this, everyone known this sort of thing happens, and I assure you that you are not the first or last person to have this problem. I'd probably keep the date I already RSVPed to unless one of the other two absolutely insists the date they have is very important. I'd propose some times when I am available around the time the school suggested, and ask if they have a preference. I'd indicate that other options could work too (if that's true). Unless you are absolutely certain you don't want to attend one of these schools, I suggest you make the effort to make all the visits. I found that visits changed my perception of several schools and had quite an impact on my final choice. 

Thank you all for the advice! I think that I will have to reschedule the two I have not already RSVPed to. There's no point in being rushed, stressed and exhausted. Your point about seeing campuses on a "normal" day is also really valid.

I'm also completely amazed that I was invited to this many interviews, so I certainly don't want to blow them off or act uninterested. I am beyond excited to visit each of them and think it's a very important step to deciding where you are going to spend the next half decade+ of your life!

Thank you all for the advice! I think that I will have to reschedule the two I have not already RSVPed to. There's no point in being rushed, stressed and exhausted. Your point about seeing campuses on a "normal" day is also really valid.

I'm also completely amazed that I was invited to this many interviews, so I certainly don't want to blow them off or act uninterested. I am beyond excited to visit each of them and think it's a very important step to deciding where you are going to spend the next half decade+ of your life!

I think they will understand! One school called me just as my wife and I were about to head out to dinner (and we were running a little late). I was also pretty surprised to be getting a phone call so the combination of surprise and distraction made my reaction to the good news incredibly lame (something like "oh. that's good news, thanks."). I managed to get a hold of myself by the end of the call to say more excited sounding things before hanging up, luckily, but I felt pretty dumb about the encounter for awhile afterwards! Everything worked out though, I think all the schools know that we all didn't put ourselves through the application process if we were not excited about the chance to study at their school!

Edited by TakeruK

I think they will understand! One school called me just as my wife and I were about to head out to dinner (and we were running a little late). I was also pretty surprised to be getting a phone call so the combination of surprise and distraction made my reaction to the good news incredibly lame (something like "oh. that's good news, thanks."). I managed to get a hold of myself by the end of the call to say more excited sounding things before hanging up, luckily, but I felt pretty dumb about the encounter for awhile afterwards! Everything worked out though, I think all the schools know that we all didn't put ourselves through the application process if we were not excited about the chance to study at their school!

I got an acceptance call from the school I am currently attending. I was too excited to speak coherently, and was kind of just saying 'uh-huh' to everything the professor on the other end was saying, which was mostly details about the offer and the open house. It was a short conversation and at the end she asked "do you have any questions for me," and I said "yes, but I forgot what they are" (because actually at the time I was preparing for other interviews and was thinking about these things in general, but I completely blanked on everything!). I then at least had the presence of mind to say "I'll email you later with some questions," which was a good excuse to express my excitement with, you know, full grammatical sentences. I felt really stupid at the time, but this professor later told me that reaction isn't all that uncommon, and it's nothing to worry about. 

Well I have another question! I want to reschedule these, but I don't know if I will be invited to more interviews. I don't want to reschedule one for the same date as another! Is it ok to ask programs either when their interview dates are or when they will be sending out invitations?

Is it ok to ask programs either when their interview dates are or when they will be sending out invitations?

Yes - both are fair questions, and I'd ask them both together in an email: i.e. ask if they have set a date for their interviews, tell them it will assist you in making travel plans, and also ask when you might expect to hear from them. 

I did it and everyone was very nice. In fact, it prompted an acceptance letter for me from one school! I still missed the 2-week mark for buying tickets though. Now all the prices went up. :(

Also one school refused to interview me at another date even though they were the last of 3 schools (for that date) to get back to me! They were in my top 3, so yeah... avoid my mistakes and ask first!

I emailed the department/admissions secretaries for 2 schools:

Hello,

I applied to the PhD program in YYY at XXX for Fall 2014.

I am in the middle of making travel arrangements to attend interview days at other campuses, and I was wondering if you are able to tell me both the interview date and when invitations might be sent out for your program? It would greatly assist me in making my arrangements.

I hope this email has gotten to the right place. Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,

iphi

I should add that both secretaries were very nice and told me the exact day of the interview and when decisions should be made/I should expect to be notified. They also asked if there was anything else they could help me with. They were very helpful!

This has the added bonus of them maybe letting you know your status early, if they are aware of it. For example, one told me that interview invitations would go out later this week, but that I would be getting one and to tell her if it didn't show up by a certain date.

Edited by iphi