Question of Graduate School Admission for FALL 14

h_bestluck

Hello,

I graduate with B.S. in biology last May. I graduate with 3.24 GPA and had honors credits. Have done Honors Thesis based on my biological lab research. I have two years of research directed by professor. Had upper level Research credits and awarded and funded by STEM undergraduate research award for 3 semesters. Had good Recommendations, personal statement and Resume. I also have data from research award and honors thesis papers to submit as my supporting material to school.

Here is a thing: Have kinda low GRE. Math is fine. but not verbal.. 

How important is GRE for apply to the schools. ? I have good recommendation, personal statement and research experiences. Would it be increase a chance little? I heard some positions are selected by ramdomly. They have to have a luck within acceptance. Also, some people were accepted with have good personality, interest of research and experiences. 

Is there any chance for it? 

I am trying to retake GRE soon tho.. 

thank you. 

From what I've read, retaking GRE does not really increase a students score by much.

Luckily, the good majority of schools look at you as a whole package. Overall, you seem like a great candidate and I wouldn't give up just yet.

I did horrible on GRE - 150V/145Q/2. In most of my applications I had an "additional essay" to write anything. I added why i did so bad on GRE (I don't test well) but this does not reflect my ability to do math or write. I then pointed them to look at my transcript. I have A's in all math and english classes i've ever taken. 

I think the real key is that you have research experiece! If your recommenders know you well and can speak about your abilities to do research and be successful in graduate school, i'm sure you'll be fine.

I was terrified that my GRE score would ruin my chances of getting in to grad school, but so far have 2 interviews at some pretty good schools.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the positive comments you have :)

Like you mentioned, I added additional writing( letter) included my package of application that I pointed out even my GRE Verbal is not good enough, I had good grades such as A or high B from English, math, and any of paper required classes to be completed successfully. 

It was so difficult and stressing out to having bad, negative thought in my mind, but your comments helped me a lot to having positive thoughts!!

Thank you!

What would you do while you are waiting for the decisions? I can't really just wait for few month to hear from the school... I feel like i should do something that i could do for increase of chances..

Thank you!

What would you do while you are waiting for the decisions? I can't really just wait for few month to hear from the school... I feel like i should do something that i could do for increase of chances..

You're welcome! At this point, there's nothing you can really do right? You've submitted your applications and they are judging you with the info they currently have. However, you could currently work on figuring out how to nail your interviews and impress them when you meet them!

Right now, I'm finishing up my last semester of undergrad and doing one last semester of research in my lab. I think I have enough to keep me busy/preoccupied. I'm still anxious to see an acceptance letter, but I know I should get in to at least one school.

Thanks for the luck and congrat that you interviewed and wait-listed.

Waiting for decision is killing me that I already experienced by rejected last year and i am re-trying to submitting by those application. I did it as its gonna be my last chance.. but still felt depressed , nervous, scared.. 

I hope to hear good news soon tho. 

thanks !