Continental Political Philosophy?

surlefil

Hi! I'm looking for Ph.D. programs in Philosophy or Comp. Lit. My main area of interest is Aesthetics but I'm also very interested in Political Philosophy. I'm more on the "continental" side, and I would like to know which good programs there are in continental political philosophy. Do you know any? Which scholars are well-known in the area? I'm Argentinian, so I'm not familiar with professor names and so.

Thanks in advance!

One thing to be careful of is to determine if you prefer one language's philosophy more than another--are you interested in german, french, or italian the most? Because not all continental programs are strong in all three. 

I guess my question is really, are you interested more in critical theory, post-structuralism, or autonomous marxism? That should factor into your decisions. Otherwise, you may end up in a great continental school, but one that focuses on french language philosophy and come to find out you are interested in german language philosophy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi surlefil, greetings from a fellow South American. I agree with the recommendations listed above. I would add Columbia. Although it is not a "Continental Program", it has Lydia Goehr (Aesthetics and Critical Theory), Axel Honneth (current director of the Frankfurt School, he is at Columbia half of the year), and Frederick Neuhouser (expert in Hegel). There are other faculty in political philosophy, but not from a continental perspective. Another good school for you would be SUNY Binghamton, whose whole program is geared towards Ethics and Political Philosophy. My advisor personally knows the chair of the department, Max Pensky, and she thinks he's s among the best scholars in Critical Theory. 

Suerte,

Hi! First of all, thanks A LOT for your answers. They are very useful. Unfortunately, I can’t consider all of the programs you mentioned for geographic reasons. I’m planning to go with my boyfriend, who also wants to apply to a Ph.D. (though not in Philosophy), so we have to consider big cities like NY, Boston, Chicago.

One thing to be careful of is to determine if you prefer one language's philosophy more than another--are you interested in german, french, or italian the most? Because not all continental programs are strong in all three. 

I guess my question is really, are you interested more in critical theory, post-structuralism, or autonomous marxism? That should factor into your decisions. Otherwise, you may end up in a great continental school, but one that focuses on french language philosophy and come to find out you are interested in german language philosophy.

Great question, thanks for asking. I would say I’m more interested in critical theory, though I wouldn’t like my interests to be defined only by language; of course it would be great to choose a program where you can learn different things. But I definitely wouldn’t like to be in a school only focused in post-structuralism.

Hi surlefil, greetings from a fellow South American. I agree with the recommendations listed above. I would add Columbia. Although it is not a "Continental Program", it has Lydia Goehr (Aesthetics and Critical Theory), Axel Honneth (current director of the Frankfurt School, he is at Columbia half of the year), and Frederick Neuhouser (expert in Hegel). There are other faculty in political philosophy, but not from a continental perspective. Another good school for you would be SUNY Binghamton, whose whole program is geared towards Ethics and Political Philosophy. My advisor personally knows the chair of the department, Max Pensky, and she thinks he's s among the best scholars in Critical Theory. 

Suerte,

Greetings! It’s great that someone recommends Columbia. I would love to work with Lydia Goehr, and I’ve seen there are other professors who are interested in continental philosophy.

If your options are Boston, NYC and Chicago, the major phil departments on your list are Boston University, Harvard, MIT (Tufts and Brandeis for MA), NYU, Columbia, CUNY, maybe Rochester or Syracuse, Chicago, Loyola...I think that's pretty exhaustive. Of those, University of Chicago stands out as having strengths in continental, but the deadline has passed for this year and it is an incredibly competitive school to get in to.