Which Biostatistics departments are DECENT?

Hello all,

I know that this question could have N number of answers, but generally speaking, which Biostatistics departments would be considered as decent? Is there any range of ranking (particularly US News ranking for just Biostatistics departments and NOT Statistics departments) that classifies this particular group? e.g.10-20, 15-25, 20-40 etc.

If there is no such range (or if you don't want to group them in such a way) then, which schools would you consider having decent Biostatistics departments?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi, I asked a similar question several months ago and here is the list suggested by a biostatistics faculty in the forum.

I think the U.S. News provides a pretty good ranking, though you have to spend a few minutes distinguishing stat from biostat. Roughly speaking, the top 10 places are:

Harvard

Hopkins

Washington

UNC

Michigan

Minnesota

Berkeley

Emory

Penn

Columbia

I think you could also make an argument for departments like UCLA and Brown to show up in the last 2-3 slots.

Hi, I asked a similar question several months ago and here is the list suggested by a biostatistics faculty in the forum.

Thanks Lelouch,

But are these departments decent? they seem to be top 10-12 programs. I think decent programs might rank a little lower than them. Can you specify some schools that are decent (not too low and not too high..just in the middle range). It's relatively easy to determine the top programs but the picture get murkier when some little lower ranked schools are considered. Thanks!!

I believe the OP is asking for moderately good schools, not the top 10 or 15. This is also something I am very curious about. It seems at least on Grad Cafe, that after the top 10 schools the discussion dies out a bit. Does anyone know of schools for which students with sub 3.8 GPAs can be admitted to and learn quality (if not world-class excellent) biostatistics? Surely not everyone can have the nice 4.0 and Washington-Harvard-Hopkins aspirations, right?

Some schools ranked outside the top 10 in USNWR:

Boston U

University of Wisconsin-Madison

University of Iowa

University of Pittsburgh

Virginia Commonwealth U

The survey based NRC rankings:

Michigan

Washington

Harvard

Johns Hopkins

UCLA