University of Washington Personal Statement

So I am finishing up my last personal statement for the February 1st application deadline (actually, I have been done for a while but to scared to ask this question because I am afraid of the answer). Is anyone else working on the University of Washington's personal statement? I read on the application site "Please do not exceed 4,500 characters." Does this include spaces? For those of you where working on the CSDCAS application you all know how hard it was to keep that 5500 character minimum. I was seriously making sure there was no double spaces anywhere. What do you guys thinks? 

Edited by ImpulsiveNixie

I'm not actually applying to the University of Washington program, but I think when there's a limit on "characters" it includes spaces, punctuation, letters, etc -- basically any and every unit you type on a keyboard. That's how it was when I was completing the CSDCAS application and the personal statement limit was 5,500 characters (if I remember correctly). I used this site (http://www.charactercountonline.com/) to check how many characters my typed statement had before I submitted it. That site seemed to be pretty accurate. Hope this helps!

Ya, I would have thought the same thing except you turn it is as a PDF? The CSDCAS actually had a limit.

Microsoft word tells you your character amount too - with and without spaces.

Edited by ImpulsiveNixie

Character count is a character count, you can use it to count characters... So write a few words in a document and look at the character count. That will answer your question. Keep in mind some character counts are calculated differently, so if an online application does a check before submission you'll want to test it first.