Interview questions for cognitive science

zeph22

What to expect in an interview for admission to a cognitive science program? Background is in engineering. I have been getting very positive sounding emails that only subtly refer to an interview...are these informal, getting-to-know-you interviews or are these technical and intensive? What should be the strategy to present your best?

This is for Cog Neuro rather than straight Cog Sci, but you might find this helpful:

https://sites.google.com/site/gradappadvice/notifications-and-decisions

In general, for science programs, what I've heard is that its mostly a casual get to know you type thing, but *occasionally* faculty members will push you to the edge of your knowledge to see how you handle it when you don't know the answer to a question. This is not so much to judge you for not knowing as it is to see if you can maturely say "I don't know, but I could speculate X" or "I don't know, but maybe you could approach that question with X type of analysis" as opposed to trying to BS and hide that you don't know the answer.

This is for Cog Neuro rather than straight Cog Sci, but you might find this helpful:

https://sites.google.com/site/gradappadvice/notifications-and-decisions

In general, for science programs, what I've heard is that its mostly a casual get to know you type thing, but *occasionally* faculty members will push you to the edge of your knowledge to see how you handle it when you don't know the answer to a question. This is not so much to judge you for not knowing as it is to see if you can maturely say "I don't know, but I could speculate X" or "I don't know, but maybe you could approach that question with X type of analysis" as opposed to trying to BS and hide that you don't know the answer.

This is great. Thanks. Would they ask technical questions? I have an engineering background, but it has been three years that I have done programming or the like...so I am worried about programming or math questions which would require some revision and I am not sure if it can be done in two weeks...just want to gain perspective. Thanks!