what kind of interview is this? have I already been accepted?

marneasada

..Hi there,

I was pretty shocked to get this very nice, informal email this week from the director/my POI at a university I applied to for a PhD, and now I am trying to decipher the language she used because I am going a little nuts.  Basically, the email says this: "I loved your application to our program and would be interested in working with you on (x topic)... I just wrote an article that will be going online soon about z topic, which really dovetails with your x topic."... "I'd love to chat by skype" (sic) 'We're trying to narrow down the few people we can admit and lose central fellowships if the people we put up for them don't have that much interest in us because we can't transfer nominations.  So it would be good to figure out our interests!'

My question: does this sound different than an invitation for a formal interview?  In other words, is this 'chat' more about me interviewing her/the uni or the other way around? The email came on Thursday with a request that we skype this weekend or on Monday, so I only have a bit of time to prepare, and I would like to be as ready as I can be.  Any help would be very much appreciated.  Many thanks.

It sounds like an interview, but with a high chance of you getting in. I would treat it has though you have not yet be admitted, show enthusiasm and re-establish your interest in the topics that she thinks are compatible with hers. It really does sound as though they have pretty much made up their minds, but remember it could be down to you and even one other person, which still makes it a bit competitive!

You had also better figure out where this school is on your list. It sounds as though if they nominate you for a fellowship and you don't end up going you could have just cheated someone else out of funding! So if it's not in your top choices, you'd better let them know!

I didn't apply anywhere else-- any thoughts on whether it would be a good idea or a bad idea to tell them that?

In my opinion, you don't have to mention this at all unless she asks you specifically. 

From your first post, it sounds like she is interested in you as an applicant and she is hinting at the idea that she wants you to let her know whether or not you're serious about the program. If you somehow send the message that you're not 100% devoted to her program, then she may not fully consider you as a prospective student (i.e., she will probably waitlist you). So, I think that it will be important for you to emphasize your fit with the program and your enthusiasm for it. Do some more research on the program too before the interview to back up your claims.