Should I retake GRE for Columbia/NYU?

MontaukPoint

Hello all,

I am applying to Columbia and NYU for a Masters program in Bioethics. I took the GRE 10 days ago and I received pretty low scores: 159V 151Q and 4.0AW. 

My disappointment was in my AW score... as that is only in the 54th percentile. Should I retake the GRE? 

Thank you for your help.

Bioethics. NYU requires a 10-page writing sample... I took this as a sign that the AW was important (?). Thanks.

Masters or Ph.D.?

The writing sample itself will tell them significantly more about your writing capabilities and logical prowess than a standardized test. You should feel free to contact someone in the program and ask. Also, are the programs quant heavy? You may need to think of ways either to increase your Q score or compensate for it in other ways.

Masters or Ph.D.?

The writing sample itself will tell them significantly more about your writing capabilities and logical prowess than a standardized test. You should feel free to contact someone in the program and ask. Also, are the programs quant heavy? You may need to think of ways either to increase your Q score or compensate for it in other ways.

Both programs lead to the Master's degree. 

The programs are not quant heavy at all to my knowledge. I am expecting both to be philosophical in nature. So, should I still try and increase the Q score? What do you think?

I think it would be to your benefit to reach out to the programs and ask specifically. According to data available at Petersons.com, Columbia at least admits about 91% of its applicants in Bioethics (22/24). Assuming your GREs pass their minimum standard - I would guess they do - you should be fine.

I think it would be to your benefit to reach out to the programs and ask specifically. According to data available at Petersons.com, Columbia at least admits about 91% of its applicants in Bioethics (22/24). Assuming your GREs pass their minimum standard - I would guess they do - you should be fine.

That number just doesn't seem right.  :blink:

Yes. I would retake it.

Thanks. I am leaning towards doing so. Do you think that I will be at a disadvantage if I have my applications out by the end of next month, being that the deadlines for my programs are May 1st and May 15th? 

That number just doesn't seem right.  :blink:

Why? My girlfriend's at a top ranked program for her field doing a masters, and the acceptance rate is ridiculously high. This is usually for two reasons:

1.) you're in a pretty specialized field and the competition isn't as intense (so the program accepts all students it sees as qualified, doesn't have to split the arbitrary hairs)

2.) a lot of masters programs bring in a lot of income for schools, so there is little benefit to accepting only the top 1% of applicants (though, of course, schools will still admit in line with the sense of prestige they've cultivated over the years)

Thanks. I am leaning towards doing so. Do you think that I will be at a disadvantage if I have my applications out by the end of next month, being that the deadlines for my programs are May 1st and May 15th? 

I reiterate: Before you drop the money on retaking the GRE, contact the program and ask what they think. It benefits them to have highly qualified applicants, and they will be honest with you about where you stand and how you can improve.

Why? My girlfriend's at a top ranked program for her field doing a masters, and the acceptance rate is ridiculously high. This is usually for two reasons:

1.) you're in a pretty specialized field and the competition isn't as intense (so the program accepts all students it sees as qualified, doesn't have to split the arbitrary hairs)

2.) a lot of masters programs bring in a lot of income for schools, so there is little benefit to accepting only the top 1% of applicants (though, of course, schools will still admit in line with the sense of prestige they've cultivated over the years)

I think I am trying to not get my hopes up too high. I hope I didn't come across rude!  :unsure:

Nobody has ever told me that before.. I've always assumed that such good schools would have very low acceptance rates... thank you!

I reiterate: Before you drop the money on retaking the GRE, contact the program and ask what they think. It benefits them to have highly qualified applicants, and they will be honest with you about where you stand and how you can improve.

You're right.. thanks for helping me so much. I will call both programs tomorrow. 

I think I am trying to not get my hopes up too high. I hope I didn't come across rude!  :unsure:

Nobody has ever told me that before.. I've always assumed that such good schools would have very low acceptance rates... thank you!

It's hard to say. For a lot of masters programs, they are willing to take on as many students as they see to be academically qualified. This is especially true if they're a small program with a small applicant pool. The Petersons data could be confirmed or rejected with a short email to the administrative assistant. Like I said, the more informed you are, the better off they will be. 

You're right.. thanks for helping me so much. I will call both programs tomorrow. 

No problem and good luck!

I do want to add, though, that a high acceptance rate does not necessarily reflect on the program quality. They're still NYU and Columbia, and likely they have very good faculty working for them.