Letters of Recommendation help..

RD_Paul

Hi everyone,

I've been away from this forum for a few years, but I'm starting the process of applying for doctoral programs. I'm wondering about thoughts on letters of recommendation. One of the professors with whom I've formed a magnificent relationship is a well-recognized leader in his field (OT/HB, Biblical Theology), but my plan is to apply to NT/Early Christianity programs. Will the fact that he's not in my program matter? I assume not, but some pointers from those of you who've had experience would be much appreciated!

Other than this professor, I have another NT faculty member with whom I've formed a good relationship, but other than him, I don't really have any that stands out in my field except other men. I've done an independent study with a retired professor of Early Church, but he's another white man. If we're going simply on quality of scholarship/reputation, these three would be fantastic. Will it hurt me if I just have white men recommending me?

What do you think?

On the first matter of whether a recommender outside of your field will be less helpful than someone within your field: I agree that if none of your recommenders were in your research area, this would be a concern. But given that you will have at least one or two recommender in NT/EC, then I don't believe this will be a real issue, so long as the others are still in religion. I applied with a mix of recommenders in my area and also in philosophy and theology (which for me were similarly neighboring fields). My now advisor remarked to me how impressed she was by my recommenders outside of my area, suggesting that I had ability to thrive in multiple places but chose to focus there.

If you want to play the mental game of looking into the heads of adcoms (not that I would necessarily recommend this), I think a relatively safe bet is that if the adcom respects a neighboring field, and if that neighboring field thinks highly of you, then it's a good recommendation for your chances.

I would say a similar principle goes for the white (Christian?) man trifecta. There are many places that this will be a non issue. If the departments you're applying to are heavy on postcolonial readings of the NT, for example, then yeah, this will be an issue. That said, I would venture that three strong recommendations from three white men would be better than two strong recommendations from white men, and then a woman, trans, queer, or "diversity" recommender who doesn't know you. If you're committed to this field and branching out, then start developing academic relationships with new people. It's never too late for that.

I agree that the most important thing ultimately is that the recommenders really know who you are. Of course, you want to find a balance between that, people in your field, the reputation of the recommender, etc. If one happens to be outside your field, I don't think it's a big deal. I had a professor from my English MA who had been on my thesis committee write me a letter for theology programs because I didn't feel like there were any other profs at my seminary who would be able to write a letter as well as that prof. Because he was totally outside the field, I asked him if he would focus on my ability to analyze texts.

The reality is that most applicants will have something "imperfect" about their LORs, i.e. having to go outside the field or subfield, names that aren't well known, etc. So regarding the diversity issue, I also agree that it could potentially be a problem--but I think you ultimately have to go with the profs who know you best. Don't throw in a token diversity recommender who really doesn't know you as a student.

your job is to get recommendations from the most reputable people who are willing to say, in effect, to their colleagues, "you'd be crazy not to admit this person." an admissions committee is going to spend much more time looking for clues in the recommendation (i.e. clues about your star potential or clues about your "meh" potential) then they are ponitificating on whether you have a diverse set of mentors.

Edited by belichick

yea from what I remember it matters who writes your letters only because their reputation as scholars matters; nothing else at all is taken into account-certainly not gender or minority status of the writers! that would be bizarre on a committee, I think.