Statistics / Biostat MS / PHD profile evaluation...please

ensemble

I am considering applying to stat MS / PHD programs in fall 2014. I'm currently in my third year as an undergrad. I'd really like to be in a stat PHD program after I graduate, but I am not sure how likely it is that I'll get into a decent program.

Undergrad Institution: top 20 private school
Major(s): Mathematics, Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.84
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Q164 V164

MGRE: don't plan on taking currently

The math / stat classes I'll have taken by the end of this semester are:

Multivariable, Linear, Math proofs course, differential equations, probability theory, mathematical statistics, vector spaces, applied psych statistics, grad course in latent variable modeling in psychology. Also have taken a decent amount of of CS classes. 

The semester that I plan on applying I'll also begin sequences in abstract algebra and real analysis, which may or may not mean that I'll have a grade on my transcript for those courses. 

I have a decent amount of research experience, having worked in a psychology lab that does a lot of stat genetics stuff for the past 1.5 years. Also plan on doing a machine learning research thing this summer. But no publications yet, and while some are in works, starting to realizing that getting anything published is probably unlikely. May do an honors thesis of some sort next year. 

I also have some work experience in that I've been doing statistics / machine learning / database consultation for a very large business for the past 2 years. Gained a lot of experience with some common programming languages during that time. 

LOR should have one that is excellent, and the other two should be fine. Have won some semi-significant scholarships / honors at school, but nothing too crazy. 

Anyway, based on my perusal of these forums, I think I can get into most MS programs that I'd want, but I'm really more interested in the PHD programs. My current guess is that I could get into a few ok PHD programs, but probably not any top programs since I don't have a ton of high math level coursework or any math publications, and I also don't have a great Mgre score to help me. Should I wait until after my senior to apply since I'll have completed sequences abstract algebra and real analysis at that time (and may have things published)?

I'm most interested in machine learning but I am also interested in various biostat things. 

The schools that I am interested in at this time, with many/most of them probably being unreachable are:

Harvard, WashU, Penn, Johns Hopkins, Emory, Iowa State, UNC, Duke, NC State, UCLA, Berkeley, UC Davis, Pitt, Brown, Carnegie Mellon

I'll probably add a bunch of lower ranked programs as well so I get in somewhere. 

So please evaluate my profile, and I would appreciate any guidance about whether I should wait a year to apply. 

I am definitely also considering biostat programs. For each of the schools listed above that have both programs (stat and biostat), I definitely would also apply to biostat programs. Some of the schools listed above only have biostat programs I believe. 

I also realized recently that the deadlines to apply are so late (mid December) that I would actually be able to send in my grades from my first semester of my senior year, where I plan on taking the first halves of real analysis, abstract algebra, and I will probably also take numerical analysis or complex analysis. 

First, let me say that you are a lock for virtually all Masters programs, especially in biostatistics.

For the PhD, I think your profile brings a lot of possible outcomes into play, from being admitted to a couple of the top programs to being shut out of the top 6-10. A lot will depend on the details of your application, including grades in your math classes, strength of letters of recommendation, and perceived prestige of your school. I wouldn't view any biostat program as totally unrealistic, but I think your "decent bets" are schools ranked in the 4-8 range (UNC, Minnesota, Michigan, Berkeley/Emory/Penn), and I certainly like your chances at most places outside the top 10.

Thank you for your feedback. I assume you are only referring to 4-8 ranked biostat programs, and not stat programs. I also assume you mean Penn biostat, and not the program at Wharton. I am still curious if I have a chance at any decently (5 - 15) ranked stat programs (not biostat).  

• 2 weeks later...

Your profile is very, very similar to my own. Virtually the same double major. Similar coursework: by the time you apply you'll have more real analysis than me, but fewer advanced probability courses. My GPA is higher, but your school is no doubt more prestigious than mine - an upper-mid-range big public school. We've both been involved in research weakly related to stats, you probably have a little bit more than I do. GRE - basically the same thing.

Only major differences is that I am interested in probability and applications to social/economic/political sciences. And, I have a couple of misc wildcard-type things on my application. I applied to a number of differently-named programs like Statistics, IEOR, Applied Math, that all study the same things.

I'll post my profile/stats in the admission results thread at some point in the future, as right now I have only received response from two schools: an acceptance from an institution lower-ranked than my undergrad, and a rejection from a very blingy school that I was never going to get in to anyway. My department seems to have hope for me, but I honestly don't whether a bunch of admissions committee professors are going to react kindly to a rather complex/confusing background. Either way, my results might be fairly informative for you.

Edited by CauchyProcess

Given the prestige of your undergrad, I think you have a decent shot at most of the places you listed. I wouldn't rule any of those out. For pure stats departments, greater exposure to and strong performance in high-level math classes would probably be the most important thing. Biostats programs below the top 3 (Harvard, JHU, and UW) seem to be a bit more lenient with math requirements, as I have seen people with biology and bioengineering degrees (with only stats and/or math minors) be admitted to Biostatistics programs. But nevertheless, more math would definitely be viewed as a strong plus for a Biostats application.

I'd say that whether or not you actually end up getting into the top programs you listed will depend a lot on your letters of recommendation (assuming your statement of purpose is coherent enough). If you can get strong letters that point to specific examples of your research potential and that indicate you're in the top 5 percent of students ever taught, then that would certainly help a lot. Generic LORs may not give much useful info, so you should go with LOR writers who can point out specific examples that showcase your research potential. If you can get a strong letter from a "superstar" professor, that could go a long way as well.

In my case, all my upper division and graduate math/statistics grades were excellent, but my overall GPA from an Ivy undergrad was a bit lower (3.51), my MS degree wasn't from amongst the most prestigious programs, and my letters (while strong) were not from any "known" professors. Knowing what I know now about the admissions process, I shouldn't have bothered applying to some of the top-tier places like Harvard, Berkeley, etc., but I did get into UFlorida so I think schools roughly that range (UNC-Chapel Hill, Minnesota, UCLA, etc.) were all accessible to me, and I could have applied to more schools ranked similarly to UF. If I had done better in undergrad and/or been able to secure a recommendation letter from a very well-known professor (in the rare cases where I have seen 3.5ish GPA students get admitted to the very top tier for stats, it has been because the LOR was from a "super star" professor), I might have had a chance for some of the top tier.

So given the reputation of your school and your strong overall GPA (and I assume your strong major GPA), you seem as though you have a much better chance that I do at breaking the top tier. I would not be surprised if it came down to your letters of recommendation for you.

Best of luck.

Edited by Stat Applicant

Thanks for the feedback! Good luck with your apps. 

Your best advice will come from professors at your schools statistics department, especially if your school has a good statistics department. Tell them your grades, coursework, anything else you feel is necessary and let them tell you where you think you can get into. This is what I did, while the advice given by fellow applicants can be helpful it is far more helpful to get it from people who actually do admissions