Comp Lit vs. Language programs

Hello friends! This is a bit early, but I thought I'd put it out there anyways. So—I graduated with an MA in literature in 2011. My thesis was on 20th century Russian literature. I applied to PhD programs (mostly in English because I could not work in Russian yet) and got 6/6 rejections (not a fun few months). As a result, I decided to switch gears, so I joined the Peace Corps and now I live in Ukraine, where I've been teaching at a University, learning Ukrainian (some Russian), and even managed to squeak out a couple of publications. (FYI: This is me telling you that are other options for those of you who don't get in right away). 

However, I definitely want to finish my PhD, because I love it and just.can't.help.myself. And I definitely want to work within the realm of Slavic Studies, and now that I am better able work in the languages, I feel more confident. But at the same time I don't want to confine myself to it. My question is—for those of you currently in or applying to Comp Lit programs, would it be wise for me to move in that direction? Or would I be better off in the long run applying for solely language programs? Any feedback/insight/experience is welcome :) THANKS. 

First of all so glad you are in Ukraine (my half home)! and are interested in Slavic studies.

I am in a foreign language Ma/ phd in a different language and just wanted to give some advice.

I have been told by many people that comp. lit programs are extremely competitive and if you want to teach language or culture in Russian or whatever other language it is advisable to get a Phd in it as Comp. lit is very broad.

especially if it is not your first language!

Enjoy Ukraine! What city are you in?

I agree with the Francophile. If you knew for sure that you only wanted to, for example, teach Ukrainian or Russian then Slavic would be the way to go. But it sounds like you aren't totally sure, in which case I would definitely advise you to think about Comp Lit. You would potentially be marketable to multiple departments (assuming you did a diss. on, say Slavic and American lit., or Slavic Lit. and Film) and Slavic departments aren't exactly booming right now anyhow...

Hey thanks for the feedback. I've heard a number of different things from different people. I think I will go the comp lit route, only because I'm not very interested in teaching language, and I like the comparative approach. I have a strong background in French as well, and I'd love to continue working in other Slavic languages, and ideally in an English or another comp lit department. The biggest concern I hear from others is marketability, but I'm getting a phd in the humanities kind of opposes marketability anyways :)

Francophile, I live in Lutsk in Volyn oblast:) just north of L'viv. I love it here, and at such an interesting time. Ukrainians are so wonderful- it's been an education to say the least. You have a Ukrainian heritage! Do you know there language at all?

• 7 months later...