Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

This is the best news I got since I graduated on the 20th. See I didn't tell my folks of the Fulbright and everyone's been asking me of my plans. Come Friday I will have an answer for all. Thanks for sharing this great info.

... Are you me?

Haha, I graduated on the 21st, and I didn't tell my family about Fulbright either.

... In all honesty I'm still trying to figure out when to tell anyone in my family... I feel like I should wait until the FINAL notification comes around, and after I've applied for my passport around that time... before I tell family.

But same... I get asked my plans, and am being pressured to go to grad school NOW, when I wanna take a gap year to breathe/figure things out/possibly build up credentials and finances to go to grad school.

I will be utterly devastated if they push it back to the 30th because I have had it with my folks. I know they are well meaning but it's beyond annoying.

Are you relieved to just be able to tell them something? Because we'd still have to wait to hear if we've officially made it after this finalist round if I'm not mistaken.

But I agree, I've found myself holding my tongue several times because of the pressure of family. I've been ready to distance myself a bit, because I don't know if I can handle much more myself. I've been counting down until graduation, now is my chance to embark on a great opportunity and be at peace with myself and to get to learn who I am as a person.

Edited by minimouse

Hi Guys!

New user here, yet I've been a lurker for quite some time, and I felt compelled to finally make an account as the day is drawing near (especially hearing the news that notifications may come out this Friday. Crazy!).

I feel the same sense of anxiety and frustration some of you feel being a graduating senior and all. I'm taking a gap year too to figure everything out and it's ... BLAH. It's so stressful thinking about future plans that I sometimes end up tossing in bed, lying there awake for hours on end not knowing for certain what I'm going to do during that year. Though, knowing that the first round of notifications is just around the corner gives me a slight glimmer of hope so we'll see  :rolleyes: It's also nice knowing that I'm not sailing on this boat alone. The solidarity and sense of community here is wonderful!

Hi Guys!

New user here, yet I've been a lurker for quite some time, and I felt compelled to finally make an account as the day is drawing near (especially hearing the news that notifications may come out this Friday. Crazy!).

I feel the same sense of anxiety and frustration some of you feel being a graduating senior and all. I'm taking a gap year too to figure everything out and it's ... BLAH. It's so stressful thinking about future plans that I sometimes end up tossing in bed, lying there awake for hours on end not knowing for certain what I'm going to do during that year. Though, knowing that the first round of notifications is just around the corner gives me a slight glimmer of hope so we'll see  :rolleyes: It's also nice knowing that I'm not sailing on this boat alone. The solidarity and sense of community here is wonderful!

Yes! I didn't even know this thread existed until about two weeks ago. I looked at everything BUT this thread (because I didn't know of its existence), and grasped for anyone who understood the communal struggle and anxiety.

And now here I am!

It does feel good to have a community that understands. I'm getting more and more excited, and less worried about what news I may get from this notification that's coming up so soon!

Knowing me? I'll probably shut both my computer and phone off all Friday to extend the anticipation... Because I'll be so worried the day of, what the email holds. Haha!

Are you relieved to just be able to tell them something? Because we'd still have to wait to hear if we've officially made it after this finalist round if I'm not mistaken.

But I agree, I've found myself holding my tongue several times because of the pressure of family. I've been ready to distance myself a bit, because I don't know if I can handle much more myself. I've been counting down until graduation, now is my chance to embark on a great opportunity and be at peace with myself and to get to learn who I am as a person.

I just want to tell them something. All I do these days is read in bed all day and go to my crappy job in the evening. I thought about studying for the LSAT since I eventually want to go to law school but decided against starting it since I can't focus at the moment. If I am not recommended, then it's the LSAT. I am the first in my family to graduate from college and so I am under intense pressure to "do something." I have a BA in political science. There are millions of us out there but try telling that to my folks! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Hi Guys!

This. I was looking forward to the gap year but three weeks in, the stress of thinking about the future and what it holds is killing me. I am gald I am here though. Reading the posts here is cathartic.

Hey guys! This is my first time posting, but I just got word from my advisor that first round notifications will be coming out THIS FRIDAY (Jan. 16th)! He even forwarded the official statement from Fulbright and IIE. Looks like the wait is almost over!!

newsletter_header.gif NSC Result Notification 

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that IIE will be informing students of the outcome of the first stage of Fulbright U.S. Student Competition this week.  

Emails will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their application status by the end of the day on Friday, January 16, 2015.

Don't worry, I won't be at work in a cubicle with no window or view attempting not to obsessively refresh my email on Friday. :unsure:

Now I'll be anxious as all hell Friday and have no confirmation that I'll actually hear anything...and then if I don't I'll be wondering if I actually submitted my application or if it was just a dream.

Relevant:

giphy.gif

I could not figure out how to post gifs on here earlier, but if I figure it out... This is my gif of choice for the news:

tumblr_levvkxxPAr1qabbxd.gif

And this is how I felt when I had finally accepted the 2 week wait until our notification, but learned it was moved up to THIS FRIDAY!!

tumblr_inline_n4tuz5DPgj1qk3ggq_zps7cccd

Hahaha I love those gifs!! Thanks for providing some comic relief :)

In other news, I OF COURSE had a Fulbright dream last night that woke me up and prevented me from going back to sleep.  I dreamt that my adviser forwarded over an email to me (with subject line OMG) from Fulbright with my entire scoring rubric.  Which, by the way, was all in Italian (since I applied for Italy).  At the very bottom, it said I was recommended!  The worst part was that it felt extremely realistic, and I woke up disappointed.  Crossing my fingers that I won't actually be disappointed when I receive the real email :P

I could not figure out how to post gifs on here earlier, but if I figure it out... This is my gif of choice for the news:

tumblr_levvkxxPAr1qabbxd.gif

And this is how I felt when I had finally accepted the 2 week wait until our notification, but learned it was moved up to THIS FRIDAY!!

tumblr_inline_n4tuz5DPgj1qk3ggq_zps7cccd

Relevant:

giphy.gif

HA! These are all of my emotions right now! Love it!

I'm not sure if this is the best news or the worst news I've received this week.

1. I just had a mini heart attack in class

2. On Friday... I will be in an ACTUAL DESERT with no access to the outside world until later this week.

... Those GIFs are so relevant.

I frankly would prefer being in the desert with no communication, that way I couldn't spam F5 on my email all day. The news would just be there when I got home. Also had to calm myself down when my phone alerted me to a new email this morning...

dawn_of_the_second_day_wallpaper_by_rapt

I am freaking out. This is actually making me nauseous.  :unsure: Good thing I'll be on a plane around 5pm tomorrow - the five hour flight will keep me from repeatedly refreshing my email. Goodness, I don't know how you returners could do this to yourselves a second time!

I ran into my fellowship advisor in the hallway today.

It went like this: "Have you heard - ? Oh wait, I'm not allowed to tell you yet. Anyway, more good news." And then she ran off. Not sure what to make of that...

Edited by pterosaur

It went like this: "Have you heard - ? Oh wait, I'm not allowed to tell you yet. Anyway, more good news." And then she ran off. Not sure what to make of that...

... Do they know in advance??

Waaa??

Hey guys! This is my first time posting, but I just got word from my advisor that first round notifications will be coming out THIS FRIDAY (Jan. 16th)! He even forwarded the official statement from Fulbright and IIE. Looks like the wait is almost over!!

newsletter_header.gif NSC Result Notification 

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that IIE will be informing students of the outcome of the first stage of Fulbright U.S. Student Competition this week.  

Emails will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their application status by the end of the day on Friday, January 16, 2015.

New to gradcafe, but I had to sign up to say THANK YOU. I, too, had finally accepted that I had two weeks left to wait, and I thought I would give a lurk on here and my heart jumped into my throat.

I'm also waiting for acceptance to King's College London for an MSc. I feel like I check my email hundreds of times a day.

I applied for the UK Open Award, as King's doesn't have a partnership. My chances are so slim!

Good luck everyone! Have a calm 24 hours, yeah?

tumblr_n2a1z6KtLu1qb83vbo1_500.gif

So my advisor tells me she's heard nothing.I hope she knows something but is hiding it from me.

This is honestly so relieving to me.

WELP. I'm off to try and dull my anxieties with cooking, baking, language studies... And practically anything else to keep my hands busy. Hopefully that'll prevent me from imploding? *crosses fingers*

I almost certainly would have chased her down and demanded that she tell me whatever she knew...that's just a cruel, cruel trick.

Best of luck to everyone as well, tomorrow should be entertaining.

Kalechip

Good luck to you! I am also applying to the UK and apparently it's the most competitive.

oh god yes, plus both postgrad and phd applicants are eligible for the open award. :unsure:

i thought about applying to UCL because of the partnership and my chances would be better, but i like the KCL program too much to not risk it.

what's your field? mine is environmental policy and globalization, with emphasis on climate change vulnerability and environmental justice.