Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Hiya folks.  I'm new (as you can probably tell).  I'm just here to join the collective nailbiting.  Hrm...where to start?  So, I'm Ben.  Senior wrapping up my B.S. in Community and Organizational Psychology with a minor in economics.  Applied to the UK Fulbright Partner grant at the University of Warwick.  I've been accepted to their MSc. program in Behavioural and Economic Science.  Anyone else applying in the UK or at Warick (please say no to Warwick.   :P)

Anyway, when are we thinking for notification?  Mid-Late January?

Hi Ben!  Best of luck to you! :)

For some reason, January 28 sticks out in my mind...that may have been the date last year, though.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was January 30, though, as that's the last weekday of the month.

Hiya folks.  I'm new (as you can probably tell).  I'm just here to join the collective nailbiting.  Hrm...where to start?  So, I'm Ben.  Senior wrapping up my B.S. in Community and Organizational Psychology with a minor in economics.  Applied to the UK Fulbright Partner grant at the University of Warwick.  I've been accepted to their MSc. program in Behavioural and Economic Science.  Anyone else applying in the UK or at Warick (please say no to Warwick.   :P)

Anyway, when are we thinking for notification?  Mid-Late January?

Welcome Ben! I am also applying to the UK (Leicester). I don't know why I overlooked the part about the UK being super crazy competitive! Then again you can't win if you don't play.

I reckon the last week of January.

Hi Ben!  Best of luck to you! :)

For some reason, January 28 sticks out in my mind...that may have been the date last year, though.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was January 30, though, as that's the last weekday of the month.

I received mine on January 28, 2014.

For ETA's and such Jan 28th or last week toward the Friday at the end of the month. I am doing Research Scholar bid, and was already recommended, but only to the next stage. Not sure if they are interviewing anyone on the scholar end. They did last year, I was selected, but then advised they were not funding the grant I applied for. I essentially became an alternate. My grant stated we will fund up to 2, which meant 0, 1, or 2. Well they funded none. So I re applied.. We will see. 

If I don't get it his year, I will try the Fulbright Schuman award next year.. We'll see. But between both Scholar and ETA awards, it is very competitive.. 

Edited by Bluefit

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost here, y'all!!

Only 30 more days to wait out...and then if we're lucky another few months. Limbo is not a fun place to hang out in. 

On a more proactive note, are there any similar grants out there with upcoming application cycles, specifically that work for recent grads??

Only 30 more days to wait out...and then if we're lucky another few months. Limbo is not a fun place to hang out in. 

On a more proactive note, are there any similar grants out there with upcoming application cycles, specifically that work for recent grads??

Hopefully all of this waiting and stress will bring good news to all of us. Just 30 more days...

I am wondering the same thing about the similar grants question. Teach For America seems like an obvious answer, but I thought I'd say it anyway. I also looked into a program called City Year but it seemed like a ton of work with few benefits.

Hopefully all of this waiting and stress will bring good news to all of us. Just 30 more days...

I am wondering the same thing about the similar grants question. Teach For America seems like an obvious answer, but I thought I'd say it anyway. I also looked into a program called City Year but it seemed like a ton of work with few benefits.

I am currently finishing up my second year with TFA. It has been the most challenging thing I have ever done, but it is so incredibly worthwhile. You have to really have a passion for teaching, or you won't last. There will be days when you want to bash your head into a wall, and then there will be days when you feel like you are really making a difference in the lives of your students. I'm hoping it will help set me apart on my ETA application :)

Edited by blondie3485

It's almost here, y'all!!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope that all of our hopes for the Fulbright are fulfilled! I really cannot believe that January is already here, what I thought would be the longest wait of my life has really flown by...although we still have this last month to get through.  

Eep I'm scared. I can't wait for the end of the month!

If you're interested in teaching, the Americorps National Teaching Fellowship with Citizen Schools is another program to look at. Although I'm not sure how the pay is on that one, it looks like a good program. There's a school working with the program is my city and it seems successful.

Hello! New to the board. =) Applied for Korea ETA.

I knew about Gradcafe, but didn't think there would be a Fulbright forum. Woot!

I am both so ready and scared to hear if I'm a finalist on the 30th! I read somewhere on the forum that people have already dreamed about getting in. Haha, I had a nightmare a few months back that I forgot to send additional information and realized it too late. Woke up with the sweats, emailing my Fulbright advisor in fear. He calmed me down, per usual haha.

I graduated in December, so I'm currently growing unbearably anxious because I have NO clue what my future holds. I can't even think of a realistic plan B... I'm so scared! I REALLY want this wonderful opportunity, and I'm trying not to overthink, but it's hard!

Glad I can talk to you guys, my family doesn't know I applied yet so it's nice to talk to people in similar situations and who are supportive. I know my friends are sick of hearing about it, lol!

Hello! New to the board. =) Applied for Korea ETA.

I knew about Gradcafe, but didn't think there would be a Fulbright forum. Woot!

I am both so ready and scared to hear if I'm a finalist on the 30th! I read somewhere on the forum that people have already dreamed about getting in. Haha, I had a nightmare a few months back that I forgot to send additional information and realized it too late. Woke up with the sweats, emailing my Fulbright advisor in fear. He calmed me down, per usual haha.

I graduated in December, so I'm currently growing unbearably anxious because I have NO clue what my future holds. I can't even think of a realistic plan B... I'm so scared! I REALLY want this wonderful opportunity, and I'm trying not to overthink, but it's hard!

Glad I can talk to you guys, my family doesn't know I applied yet so it's nice to talk to people in similar situations and who are supportive. I know my friends are sick of hearing about it, lol!

Welcome to the board! I am becoming increasingly anxious as well.  I actually wish that everyone in my life didn't know that I applied for the Fulbright - because even though I am constantly thinking about it, somehow it is even worse to answer the same questions about it over and over again.  Also, it will make rejection all the more difficult.  

Best of luck to you! It is definitely hard to live in limbo and have your future in someone else's hands.  But no matter the outcome, I know we will all be better for having gone through the application process.

Hello everyone (special shout out to my fellow re-appliers)!

Hoping we will have lots of constructive and/or fun distractions this month to take our minds off this.

Anyone else applying to France?

Welcome to the board! I am becoming increasingly anxious as well.  I actually wish that everyone in my life didn't know that I applied for the Fulbright - because even though I am constantly thinking about it, somehow it is even worse to answer the same questions about it over and over again.  Also, it will make rejection all the more difficult.  

Best of luck to you! It is definitely hard to live in limbo and have your future in someone else's hands.  But no matter the outcome, I know we will all be better for having gone through the application process.

Oh god, it's the worst attempting to put it out of your mind and then having to spend the holidays answering "So what are your plans after graduation?" with "Well, I'm hoping I get this Fulbright grant to just go off across the world and do some stuff but it's a total longshot and other than that I have no plans other than live at home and work some job to pay off student debt  <_<

And entirely agree about just applying being a worthwhile experience. I swear every grad school app or career application or other grant requires you to somehow fit all of your life, personality, hopes, dreams and flaws into one page while at the same time convincing them that you are indeed amazing and they should totally give you money/admission/job/career/candy etc. At least we have good writing samples now...

Hi, all! 

A little late to the party here, but I've applied for a grant to attend the Institute of Education in London. Anyone else going for study grants in the UK? Although hopefully not too many applied to IoE! :) Getting so anxious for the end of the month! 

Hello everyone (special shout out to my fellow re-appliers)!

Hoping we will have lots of constructive and/or fun distractions this month to take our minds off this.

Anyone else applying to France?

Hey how are you!!!!!! Good luck./.. I made first round of recommendations again. so we'll see how this goes. 

Oh god, it's the worst attempting to put it out of your mind and then having to spend the holidays answering "So what are your plans after graduation?" with "Well, I'm hoping I get this Fulbright grant to just go off across the world and do some stuff but it's a total longshot and other than that I have no plans other than live at home and work some job to pay off student debt  <_<

And entirely agree about just applying being a worthwhile experience. I swear every grad school app or career application or other grant requires you to somehow fit all of your life, personality, hopes, dreams and flaws into one page while at the same time convincing them that you are indeed amazing and they should totally give you money/admission/job/career/candy etc. At least we have good writing samples now...

I graduated in December too and "well, I'm hoping to get this Fulbright grant to just go off across the world and do some stuff but it's a total longshot" is my life so hard right now. Living in limbo is NO FUN.

I graduated in December too and "well, I'm hoping to get this Fulbright grant to just go off across the world and do some stuff but it's a total longshot" is my life so hard right now. Living in limbo is NO FUN.

The worst is knowing the alternative to getting a grant is sitting in an office at a decent job that you can't really complain about because it pays well enough and isn't awful. But it feels awful because you know the alternative is going out and doing something just unreal. Hooray for limbo...could they not just pull the band aid off quicker than an unbearably long 6 month wait?

The worst is knowing the alternative to getting a grant is sitting in an office at a decent job that you can't really complain about because it pays well enough and isn't awful. But it feels awful because you know the alternative is going out and doing something just unreal. Hooray for limbo...could they not just pull the band aid off quicker than an unbearably long 6 month wait?

Yeah, this exactly. 

I actually have a job interview tomorrow and I'm not sure how I feel. If I get it, more money, security, etc...but then what would happen if I get the Fulbright? I guess I could always leave the job, although it's a 2 year contract.

Thank you!

And I'm planning to tell everyone who knows "oh well! Better luck next time!" but it will still shatter me no doubt. I have so many waves to cross... If I were to receive this, then I'd work on getting my passport immediately, and get a book to study the language. Gonna try to do all of this without my family knowing, haha. 

THIS. I JUST had my cousin ask me "what's next?" less than 20 minutes ago. I'm honestly taking a gap year because I have nothing on my resume... But realistically I don't know what I'm doing. I have no car, we live in a bad neighborhood now (as a family)... I'm trying to find a backup career, and my mom's looming over my head to go to grad school NOW... RIGHT NOW. I mean... If you wanna pay for grad apps for farts and giggles, be my guest!

I keep telling her I have NOTHING on my resume, but she's not hearing it. She keeps wanting me to unrealistically overshoot and "just try!" Or do business (I'm a communication sciences and disorders major) in grad school... But I don't even know what I'd do with that. I have no desire to just be head over something, just because. So... I've spent a lot of time since graduating just studying Korean, reading ebooks about my future, looking up other careers, working on a blog, etc. etc... And yet it's just something else my mom yells at me for... Wasting my time online, when I'm not. It's just all getting VERY old. Haha, I need this change in my life. I need to grow and get ahead and so much more that could come from this.

I'm sorry... Rant and novel over!

Sorry for double posting! The other replies to this thread were on a new page so I separated them.

Hey, fellow December grad! I'm in the same boat. I'm been anxiety-ridden almost ever since I graduated because I wonder myself what IS next?? I'm gonna have to start paying back loans in a few months, I don't know what I wanna do with my life still... Especially during a gap year (and realistically in my situation), I just REALLY don't want to get stuck and unhappy. So I've just been voluntarily drowning myself in every activity I love across the spectrum trying to find a fit toward a new path in life, "just in case."

A "plan B"... Anything.

Yeah, this exactly. 

I actually have a job interview tomorrow and I'm not sure how I feel. If I get it, more money, security, etc...but then what would happen if I get the Fulbright? I guess I could always leave the job, although it's a 2 year contract

Good luck on your interview! I'd hope they would understand the opportunity you'd receive with Fulbright.

It's things like this that make me SO SCARED to move anywhere with my life right now. I'm afraid I'll gain so many responsibilities that I'll be trapped and can hardly get away to even find out what makes me happy for the rest of my life. Let alone travel with a great opportunity like Fulbright.

Anxious feelings are anxious. I feel like I'm on a time crunch to figure "me" out.