Davis, Fall 2014

GeoDUDE!

Hey guys... I just got an offer from UC Davis EPS. What's the cost of living like ? Anyone else going? I think for my stipend to work out I would have to find a place for around 800 a month.

I'm living here right now and actually share a 2 bedroom apartment with another guy in an apartment complex with mostly graduate students/post-docs. I pay about $700 for my own bedroom, not including utilities or anything. I would say $800 a month is definitely do-able and pretty much everyone, including professors, bikes to get around here. From my experience, I've found the closer you live to downtown Davis and the campus, the older the buildings tend to be. Another option is to consider living in downtown/midtown Sacramento and driving or taking the Amtrak train over to campus -- this could take anywhere from 20-45 mins depending on traffic if you're driving.

Check out http://daviswiki.org/ for lots of useful information. 

I'm living here right now and actually share a 2 bedroom apartment with another guy in an apartment complex with mostly graduate students/post-docs. I pay about $700 for my own bedroom, not including utilities or anything. I would say $800 a month is definitely do-able and pretty much everyone, including professors, bikes to get around here. From my experience, I've found the closer you live to downtown Davis and the campus, the older the buildings tend to be. Another option is to consider living in downtown/midtown Sacramento and driving or taking the Amtrak train over to campus -- this could take anywhere from 20-45 mins depending on traffic if you're driving.

Check out http://daviswiki.org/ for lots of useful information. 

Thanks! i'm ganna go check out the area in a few weeks. 

Geodude, is there a recruitment day in March for your discipline too?

I'm actually going a week from today! There is no "official" recruitment day, but the individual POIs fly out their prospective students. Are you excited to visit ???  

I'm actually going a week from today! There is no "official" recruitment day, but the individual POIs fly out their prospective students. Are you excited to visit ???

I'm very excited but also nervous! I'm pretty sure I'll be going there so I want to make a good first impression. Good luck on your visit! Let me know what you think.

I got too and I'm going to a recruit day in March. Very nervous to meet everyone, but I can't wait! Just want to take stock of everything and make a decision!

What day will you be there and what program are you interested in? I'm in sociology and our recruitment day is march 14th.

History, recruitment is the 8th. I'm not sure if I'll go or not. I live 30 miles from Davis and have been to the campus lots of times. I plan meeting some of the professors i would consider working with during their office hours. Maybe i'll go to recruitment just to meet possible future Davis grads.

History, recruitment is the 8th. I'm not sure if I'll go or not. I live 30 miles from Davis and have been to the campus lots of times. I plan meeting some of the professors i would consider working with during their office hours. Maybe i'll go to recruitment just to meet possible future Davis grads.

Yea, I would go to get a feel for the department.

Linguistics, March 10th.  I'm skipping class to go, even though I already know the campus, the professors, ect, I am going to meet possible fellow students and other graduate students I haven't met yet.  

You get back from Davis yet?

Just now!

Davis, as a campus is simply awesome. You really dont know how many bikes there are until you see it; Imagine the 405 freeway in socal but filled with bikes. Downtown is pretty cool; lots of places with many brews on tap. Students seem smart, jovial. Still kinda processing it (traveled 16 hours today cuz of stupid airlines). Is there anything specific you want to know?

Just now!

Davis, as a campus is simply awesome. You really dont know how many bikes there are until you see it; Imagine the 405 freeway in socal but filled with bikes. Downtown is pretty cool; lots of places with many brews on tap. Students seem smart, jovial. Still kinda processing it (traveled 16 hours today cuz of stupid airlines). Is there anything specific you want to know?

Nope, just making conversation. I'm glad you liked it. Did you visit the arboretum?

Just now!

How big is the campus? I've seen the map but I'm wondering if it's easy to get places if you don't bike. I think the have a shuttle?

Did you get a chance to see what it's like after 5? The time I visited before the app season, it seemed pretty quiet. Does everyone leave for off campus housing at days' end?

How big is the campus? I've seen the map but I'm wondering if it's easy to get places if you don't bike. I think the have a shuttle?

Did you get a chance to see what it's like after 5? The time I visited before the app season, it seemed pretty quiet. Does everyone leave for off campus housing at days' end?

I hope you don't remind me responding, I'm currently going to Davis so I thought I'd add my insight.  

The campus is a good size but not big you can't walk across it, though it's too big to walk across in 10 minutes.  They have a great bus system here, which isn't quite as good on weekends but it still works out if you don't have a car.  

People are still around after 5 but it is a bit quieter then.  A lot of people are on campus studying or attending clubs in the evenings.  

I hope that was helpful.

i'm not really sure you have to be a "biker" to bike around davis. I effortlessly biked the 3-4 mile ride from my host's house to the department building.

Have any of you begun to look at housing? That is something that is probably stressing me out the most. On my stipend, I'm not sure I can afford to live alone (as I have for most of my adult life) and even outside of that, I'm struggling to swallow the cost of most of the apartments near campus. I understand that its a college town so things are more expensive, but dang. Have you guys considered living in Sac? It's cheaper but also not as nice and I'd prefer to bike to campus. Geodude, did your host live alone or have a roommate?

Have any of you begun to look at housing? That is something that is probably stressing me out the most. On my stipend, I'm not sure I can afford to live alone (as I have for most of my adult life) and even outside of that, I'm struggling to swallow the cost of most of the apartments near campus. I understand that its a college town so things are more expensive, but dang. Have you guys considered living in Sac? It's cheaper but also not as nice and I'd prefer to bike to campus. Geodude, did your host live alone or have a roommate?

He lived with 2 other people, they each paid ~500 a month. That's the way to go. I do not own a car (I do drive though) so  I will be living in Davis if i do attend. Living with roomates isnt so bad. I've mostly lived with other people my adult life (with the exception of 2 years in ugrad) so.... idk.