Can I submit two WS when only one is required

longforit

uh.. My M.A. thesis is not actually a complete one -- as I said, it only contains the literature review and the experiment design parts so far.. I don't know if it is acceptable to submit such a WS because I presume (and some programs actually say it) they want to see my analytic abilities and things like that. Is that true?

I just wrote to the Departmental Assistant and she didn't say I am disallowed to do so, but two WS won't enhance the application. I do not intend to enhance the application and do not intend to let both WS read. I just want to provide an optional so that adcom members could choose whichever they want depending on the qualifications they look for in applicants (I'll write a clear statement at the beginning of the paper saying which WS demonstrates what abilities and they are free to choose one to read). Is that an appropriate thing to do?

I think that's the best way to go about it and your reasoning is legitimate, I believe. As far as I'm aware, it's much more important to have a writing sample that showcases your analytic and research skills versus your ability to put together a literature review. Maybe if you discuss in some detail the direction you're taking for your MA thesis in your statement of purpose, that will strike a good balance between emphasizing your expertise in your current/desired field of study and your ability to form a thoughtful, cohesive research agenda and carry it out in your BA thesis. That would apply in the case where they choose to read your BA thesis...

I think that's the best way to go about it and your reasoning is legitimate, I believe. As far as I'm aware, it's much more important to have a writing sample that showcases your analytic and research skills versus your ability to put together a literature review. Maybe if you discuss in some detail the direction you're taking for your MA thesis in your statement of purpose, that will strike a good balance between emphasizing your expertise in your current/desired field of study and your ability to form a thoughtful, cohesive research agenda and carry it out in your BA thesis. That would apply in the case where they choose to read your BA thesis...

Thank you! It's a good idea! Though the one-page limit of the SOP doesn't allow me to talk much about my thesis work. But I'll definitely try!