Etiiquette on Editing a Submitted Application

Silly_Socrates

Hey everyone,

I was recently accepted to two conferences (one at Cambridge, the other in Toronto). My advisor suggested I see if I am able add this information onto my submitted applications. Do any of you know if it is taboo to email the deparment secrataries or program directors with this new information?

Edited by Silly_Socrates

It's fine to email about the updates. I'd try the department secretary unless you explicitly know you should email someone else about grad school admissions. You could email and ask that they update your CV with a new version which you attach to the email. Many departments will agree to do this for you. If you didn't submit a CV then you may ask to add one now, because otherwise I'm not sure how you would reflect these additions to your file -- I doubt that anyone would actually agree to manually edit your application. 

I agree with the above advice - sending an email with the new information is the way to go (you can send to grad secretary and if you're chummy with them your POIs). But, be aware that someone who did this recently in another forum (sending a conference acceptance) got a really nasty reply back basically saying "there's no reason to add this to your file." That really surprised me and if it were me, I'd think twice about that program.

But, be aware that someone who did this recently in another forum (sending a conference acceptance) got a really nasty reply back basically saying "there's no reason to add this to your file." That really surprised me and if it were me, I'd think twice about that program.

If only we could afford to think twice...You raise an important point though. If it's just a undergrad or grad conference, it's probably not worth mentioning (though check with your advisor). Everyone I've ever asked about this says that only professional conferences count for anything, and even then, not much.

If only we could afford to think twice...You raise an important point though. If it's just a undergrad or grad conference, it's probably not worth mentioning (though check with your advisor). Everyone I've ever asked about this says that only professional conferences count for anything, and even then, not much.

This makes me hesitant to send an updated version of my CV. Both the new conferences are graduate level. Toronto and Cambridge are both highly ranked schools per The Philosophical Gourmet, so I thought acceptances to their conferences could be a factor not so much on deciding admission, but perhaps when distributing funding. To give some more background, I have one professional level conference on my old CV along with two graduate level conferences.

This makes me hesitant to send an updated version of my CV. Both the new conferences are graduate level. Toronto and Cambridge are both highly ranked schools per The Philosophical Gourmet, so I thought acceptances to their conferences could be a factor not so much on deciding admission, but perhaps when distributing funding. To give some more background, I have one professional level conference on my old CV along with two graduate level conferences.

Sorry, I didn't mean to discourage you. You should definitely be pleased with getting into those conferences. Also, you should check with your advisor about what to do--how to word the email, who to send it to, etc. I was just giving you (and other readers) some information based on what my advisors have told me. Please don't let it be decisive.