How difficult is it to defer?

eddotman

I recently got admitted to PhD programs for Materials Science at MIT and Stanford. However, I'm also running a very early stage VC-backed software startup company. If we made any big funding rounds, do you think that would be a decent reason for deferring? And are universities usually open to that sort of reasoning?

If you are already admitted, you need to ask them. I have seen it very clearly marked on some program pages that deferment is NOT permitted, and that you will have to go through the admissions process all over again.

It really really depends on the program.

Also, some schools (like mine) will let you take a leave of absence (up to 2 years) to do what you want to do (i.e. start up a company). My school has a policy that if you are in a position like the CEO, CFO, CTO etc. then you must take the leave of absence because it is a conflict of commitment. If you are in an advising type role, then you are allowed to remain a full time graduate student while you do this stuff on your off-time. 

However, I don't remember if most schools will require you to be enrolled for a certain amount of time before you can exercise these leaves options. You will also need permission from your department/advisors etc. I would recommend that you ask these schools as soon as possible, and provide the reason you would want to defer, because maybe there is a "no deferrals" policy but they can fit you in on a "leave of absence" type policy.