Harvard MA vs Stanford MS in Statistics

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me make a decision between Harvard and Stanford for their master's program in Statistics. I know this is kind of late, but I have to give them an answer by April 15 and I am split between the 2. Well, I have visited Harvard because it's closer and because they invited all the accepted students to visit and I really like it, but I think Stanford's statistics department is bigger and might offer more options for my research, etc. (I haven't really decided which field of Statistics I am planning to go into)

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers.

Hi Prof,

Congratulations on both successes. Stanford seems to have more resources and research options. And the education seems more rigorous and difficult. That is my impression from browsing their website and course materials for over a year now.

Did you apply to PhD programs too? I will be doing that this fall (2009). I was wondering if you can tell a little about your application profile. I mean, GRE scores (especially math subject test scores) and your work/research experience . The reason I'm asking is to deduce a "minimum requirements" criterion, under which I will just not apply to a school, since it is too much of a reach.

Stanford, definitely.

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me make a decision between Harvard and Stanford for their master's program in Statistics. I know this is kind of late, but I have to give them an answer by April 15 and I am split between the 2. Well, I have visited Harvard because it's closer and because they invited all the accepted students to visit and I really like it, but I think Stanford's statistics department is bigger and might offer more options for my research, etc. (I haven't really decided which field of Statistics I am planning to go into)

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers.

I actually have a friend in Stanford's Ph.D. program, so all I can say is, if you're truly motivated to exert yourself (because it'll definitely be rigorous)...then by all means Stanford is the way to go.

If you want, I can connect you with this person's email and you can directly ask her some questions.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

I'm bumping this cuz I'm also stuck with the same decision. In terms of job placement post-MS/AM, what are the pro's and con's of the two schools? Stanford hasn't posted much about where their MS students go, and it'd be nice to know... thanks!

--Broc