Department info from one another? Do any of you go to schools that some of us are applying to?

TheVineyard

If anybody has questions about UNC-Chapel Hill, I went there for undergrad. The two faculty I worked closely with are on their way out the door, going to UConn, so if you have questions about those faculty members, I'd have things to say! I could also speak generally about department climate and general living in Chapel Hill.

If anybody has experience (and useful information as a result) at either Western Michigan's or Northern Illinois' MA programs, feel free to PM me. I've heard a small range of perspectives on each. 

UConn has admitted two people from NIU's MA program this year and the one I've spoken to so far said she enjoyed it a lot. I visited once years ago and it seemed a fine place if the area is a bit..meh.

Does anyone know anything about Virginia Tech's department?

Also, and this might be the wrong thread, I'm assuming that funding won't work out for VT: is it customary to ask for the out-of-state portion of the tuition to be waived? I plan to, and I'm keeping my hopes down, but I'm wondering if there's a smarter way to go about it than simply emailing the admissions chair and asking. There are a few requirements online to get in-state tuition ($4k a year in assistantships, e.g.), which I won't make (I think, unless I hear otherwise).

Does anyone know anything about Virginia Tech's department?

Also, and this might be the wrong thread, I'm assuming that funding won't work out for VT: is it customary to ask for the out-of-state portion of the tuition to be waived? I plan to, and I'm keeping my hopes down, but I'm wondering if there's a smarter way to go about it than simply emailing the admissions chair and asking. There are a few requirements online to get in-state tuition ($4k a year in assistantships, e.g.), which I won't make (I think, unless I hear otherwise).

I went to a fellow Virginia public university, and I've met some of the faculty. They were all nice and pleasant and really smart, plus I've heard good things from students there. Contact actual MA students if you want to know though. Don't forget though, Dr. Ott is leaving to UVA apparently, according to Leiter. Blacksburg and surrounding area is beautiful as well.

I do want to say, however, that I was told by multiple members here and (informally and namelessly) from a faculty at VT that I shouldn't attend VT without funding. The chance of getting into a good phd from there isn't like at Tufts, and it's a lot of money to put into that. They all advised that if Tech was the only offer I got, without funding, I should try again next year. That being said, I don't know your position, so I'm not saying don't do it, but I'm saying doing a terminal MA that isn't Tufts without any funding isn't a good idea in philosophy. You might end up with a nearly worthless MA*, no further graduate school, and a lot of debt. 

*An MA in philosophy is only really good for two things. Getting further education in philosophy or related fields. Teaching community college. And with the job market so bad in philosophy, phd students are getting a lot of Community College full time positions, so that's tough as well. 

I went to a fellow Virginia public university, and I've met some of the faculty. They were all nice and pleasant and really smart, plus I've heard good things from students there. Contact actual MA students if you want to know though. Don't forget though, Dr. Ott is leaving to UVA apparently, according to Leiter. Blacksburg and surrounding area is beautiful as well.

I do want to say, however, that I was told by multiple members here and (informally and namelessly) from a faculty at VT that I shouldn't attend VT without funding. The chance of getting into a good phd from there isn't like at Tufts, and it's a lot of money to put into that. They all advised that if Tech was the only offer I got, without funding, I should try again next year. That being said, I don't know your position, so I'm not saying don't do it, but I'm saying doing a terminal MA that isn't Tufts without any funding isn't a good idea in philosophy. You might end up with a nearly worthless MA*, no further graduate school, and a lot of debt. 

*An MA in philosophy is only really good for two things. Getting further education in philosophy or related fields. Teaching community college. And with the job market so bad in philosophy, phd students are getting a lot of Community College full time positions, so that's tough as well. 

I didn't know that about Ott, and that's actually super disheartening; metaphysics and epistemology have been my main interests.

I'm still parsing out my feelings about the (potential) lack of funding; part of me really doesn't give two dirty shits about the moeny, but the other, more rational and adult-like part of me thinks it's a really stupid idea. We'll see who wins out!

• 3 weeks later...

Now that admissions season is essentially over, and most have committed to a program, would any of you like to comment on your undergrad institution? It would be immensly helpful to those who will be applying next time around.

Now that admissions season is essentially over, and most have committed to a program, would any of you like to comment on your undergrad institution? It would be immensly helpful to those who will be applying next time around.

You could start a new thread. I'd be willing to talk about my undergrad, for whatever good it's worth

I'm a current grad student at Columbia University and recent MA graduate from UW-Milwaukee. I'm happy to answer questions about either program as best as I can.

How do you find the overall environment at Columbia? Is it generally supportive of grad students? How about for studying Kant/Hegel - do the grad students who work on this stuff seem pleased with the department? If you feel comfortable answering, what do you think of the professors who work in this area (either individually or more generally)?

Also, if you can answer this, how much is Honneth actually on campus? (I've heard he's in Germany a lot.)

How do you find the overall environment at Columbia? Is it generally supportive of grad students? How about for studying Kant/Hegel - do the grad students who work on this stuff seem pleased with the department? If you feel comfortable answering, what do you think of the professors who work in this area (either individually or more generally)?

Also, if you can answer this, how much is Honneth actually on campus? (I've heard he's in Germany a lot.)

I just sent you a PM.

For anyone else interested, the gist of my response is that I think Columbia is a very good place to study German philosophy. Also, Honneth is here one semester each year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how accurate it is to say that PhDs are getting a lot of the full time positions at community colleges. It might actually be true, but so far the research I've done doesn't support it. And my experience itself doesn't support it either (my full-time professors back in my community college days had MAs). It may be the case that the extra teaching experience the PhDs have upon completion of their degree (if they have community college teaching experience) puts them at an advantage. But more than anything, I think they want people who know how to teach the type of students that attend community college.

That being said, at the very least the applicant pool is bigger. So you're right about that. 

By the way, I'm doing undergrad in Berkeley, if anyone wants to know about about the program. I'm not sure to what extent I can help, but feel free to ask questions. 

Edited by esunsalmista