"stuck" in health sciences with biostatistics degree?

rruns

I am in my final semester of undergrad, and pursuing a masters to start in the fall of 2015 (I need a little time off after graduation). As of now, I am leaning towards a MS in Biostatistics. My undergrad degree is in the health sciences, and it is where my interest currently lies. Also, I'm under the impression that Biostat programs are "easier" to get into than Stat programs in terms of math preparation, at least for the programs I've compared. Since my decision to pursue this degree is fairly recent, I've only been able to fit in multi-variable calculus, probability theory, statistical theory, and linear algebra amongst the courses left for my major. I received As in the first 2 and anticipate As in the second 2, which I am currently taking, but this hardly makes me a desirable candidate. To maximize chances of getting in, getting some financial assistance, etc., it seems best to take the Biostat route.

But I wouldn't want to be "stuck" in the health sciences. How transferable will the skills obtained in a Biostat program be to other areas? I know the fundamentals are the same, but will I be missing out on something that a Stat program provides? Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Stat and biostat are generally pretty similar at the MS level; the typical program will offer a first-year graduate-level course sequence in mathematical statistics, along with various more applied courses in regression, survival analysis, experimental design, etc.

Being in biostat shouldn't preclude you from moving into a non-health science area later on.

Edited by cyberwulf

• 4 weeks later...

There are several examples of recent biostat PhD graduates who have gotten jobs at places like Google and Etsy as "data scientists". However, I don't think this is the typical path for biostat PhD folks.