Accepted/Contacted by Professor... Unsure what to ask!

Hi Gradcafe! Popping out of lurkdom because I need some help. This forum has been a godsend throughout the process, helping me keep my sanity, so I'm hoping it can help me out now. :)

I've been accepted by a very good school whose department I'm really excited about. I'm not decided on anything yet, since I'm waiting to hear from 11 other schools, plus about funding from this specific school.

I recently got an email from a professor there (someone whose work interested me, and who I mentioned in my SoP) asking to set up a time to talk on the phone, to answer questions and just talk about my work in general. So I guess my question is, what can I expect from a call like this? I'm kind of nervous, even though he was very friendly and complimentary on the phone. 

I've been so focused on applications that I didn't think much about what I'd do if I got in (didn't want to jinx it!). Also, I come from a small, regional state school. This department is large, well respected, and I'm a little intimidated, honestly. I think I'm just so stunned about even getting in that I'm having a hard time thinking of questions to ask! I mean, I could ask about funding/teaching. but what other types of things should I be asking at this stage?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm blanking and I don't want to mess this up. :)

"Where is your favorite place to get a beer in [city]?"

I know this might seem facetious, but I don't think I'm really that off-base. Someone asked a similar question a while back, and I offered that as my contribution. Of course, you can be more general. "What's your favorite part of town?" "What restaurants should I check out when I come visit?" Just remember: he is a human just like you. In fact, he was a budding graduate student at some point before he became a literature professor. He probably would appreciate a little levity in any conversation, especially if he is as nice as you've portrayed him as. 

Of course, you should ask about his work and mention how you think you would fit your research with his. That's stuff that he knows you're good at and he's excited to talk to you about it. Since you're already in, there's not much to be nervous about. I understand why you're nervous, but they can't revoke your acceptance because of poor phone conversation skills. Also, if you'll be working with this professor for the better part of the next half-a-decade, he is going to find out any shortcomings you might have as an academic. I think he will be relieved to know that he can work with you in a collegial (pun, unfortunately, intended) manner while you both try to augment your knowledge and research.

first off, congratulations!!

I recently spoke with a prof on the phone for the first time, and asked about the various TA opportunities, what grad students typically teach, opportunities for interdisciplinary work in other departments, the general environment of the department (collegial? supportive? overlap between various English dept. tracks? etc.), student life in the city where the school is located, etc.

good luck!

I asked some professors to talk about some of their most recent research projects. Some of them I already knew, but others had outdated websites. I found out about a really interesting new project that way.

I also asked about the department mentorship model and opportunities for collaboration/internships. For some, I asked what their lab was like - how many students, and so on. I also asked about visitation weekends, and when I would hear about funding, and so on. One professor just started talking about the university and everything about it, while another just wanted to hear my questions, so, it varies. 

I was terrified to talk to anyone, but what helped me is the realization that, once you've been accepted, programs enter a kind of "recruitment mode." They're trying to ensure they get their top choices. So, in my limited experience so far, everyone is extremely friendly and understanding. I think they're just as interested in making good first impressions as we are. Just relax (easier said than done, I know) and ask what you're genuinely curious about--not what you think will impress anyone. Read over the department/program websites one more time, and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Also, a good thing to ask is how you should contact them with the follow-up questions you weren't able to think of during the phone call.  :P

I just wanted to say thank you all for your responses -- and proflorax, thanks for the link to that thread. I must have scrolled right over it. 

I had my phone call today and it went well! It helped to have that list of questions right there. So thanks everyone!