Masters v/s PhD

Tanvi Ahuja

I am a Masters in Social Work from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, India. Currently I am working in the government, specially rural development, sector. I am sure I want to pursue studies after a year or so in the U.S., but I am not sure if I should pursue a PhD in Social Work or do another Masters, say in Public Policy or Public Admin. 

Thoughts??

Well, what do you want to do?  Your graduate studies should be motivated by your career goals.  Do you want to do research in social work, potentially teaching at a school of social work, perhaps pairing that with some social work practice?  Then you should get a PhD in social work.  Do you want to do public policy work, perhaps working for nonprofits or government or NGOs, or administer a public or private social work organization?  Then an MPP or an MPA would be better.  The MPA is more if you want to go on to do administrative and management work in the public sector, whereas the MPP is if you want to do policy analysis and creation (also likely in the public sector but possibly for a private firm).

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use