PhD without an MPH?

mojodreams

Hello All,

I have applied to both masters and PhD programs (more masters than PhD). How hard is it to get into PhD programs without a masters straight from undergrad??

I have a lot of research experience.

I have 4 papers (3 first author and one second author that is under review. The other 3 are still in prep). I participated in a National Science Foundation summer research program. I have 13 posters (most first author; regional, national, and international). I founded a peer mentor program on campus, have leadership experience, and did AmeriCorps before college. I also worked in the psychology clinic scheduling neuropsych assessments for 2 years.

Anyways, I think I would be competitive for a clinical psych program, but I am unsure about public health because they seem to value different things. I really have given up hope with these phd programs.

Will you please share your insight regarding this? Do you know anyone in a PhD program straight from undergrad? Also, I applied to Columbia and Johns Hopkins. They are really good and I am sure super competitive, but they are the only places with my research interests (mental health and stigma).

Have you heard anything yet about interview offers from the places you applied to PhD programs?

I thought about applying for PhD programs, but in speaking with schools and looking at their pre-requistities, most seemed to require a master's to even apply. However, I wish I had done what you did and just applied anyway - worst that happened was a rejection but acceptance to a master's program. Worst case scenario, you rock a MPH and then apply again to PhD programs.

No news on interviews! To be honest, I think I would benefit from a masters because it will allow me to diversify and grow before settling on a PhD. I have noticed a couple of phd students at Brown and Columbia who do not hold a masters....but most do. I think I had some confidence because I assumed that if I were competitive enough for clinical psych (which is more competitive than med school), I would be a shoe-in for public health. But that doesn't seem to be the case because getting a masters is just part of the convention. I am ok with it :)

I have a masters in clinical immunology  i did take some few classes in global health and i did an internship at the WHO. i have been accepted to pitt epi phd program. I think it really depends on your public health experience and how strong the other applicants are.

What kind of pubs did you have? PhDs are research-centric, whereas an MPH is a practice-oriented degree. I actually think I am MORE qualified for a PhD program than an MPH, to be honest....just because I have way more research experience and interests than practice/clinical ones. However, this is not discounting the crucial "fit" factor. I am just curious to know what non-masters holders have that sets them apart when applying to PhDs. I am still learning so much about this field! :)

I am far from an expert in this topic, but I will speak from my observations. Although many (if not most) people complete a phd after an mph or related degree, I have known a few people to gain acceptance without a masters. Yes, having research experience is crucial for a public health and any other phd. However, I think adcoms are looking for people with specific public health research experience. Most of those I've known have done at least 2+ years of full time public health research after completing their bachelors. Aside from experience, the typical things matter too like GRE scores, fit, undergraduate grades, etc.

When I looked into phd programs (and I do not have a masters) I saw that most required a masters but some said they would make an exception for highly qualified applicants. Of note, there are some schools and programs that offer msph to phd programs (or something similar) specifically for people without a masters. I think those are useful because they may shave about a year off the masters and phd process since you obtain both degrees at one school as part of one process. When I talked to programs about admitting students without masters, most told me they like to see 3-5 years of full time research public health experience, plus the usually combo of high grades/GRE. They also like to see publications in public health journals and presentations.

With all that being said, schools are pretty open that students coming from all backgrounds, not just public health, can be exceptional candidates. They really want to see your commitment to and demonstrated ability to succeed in public health research.

Again, please take this all with a grain of salt as these are just my observations. However, I hope this is helpful!