Where's University of Chicago?

ianfaircloud

Where are the results from University of Chicago?  It's about a week after I thought we'd hear from that department.  Does anyone have any connections with the school or know whether their internal timeline has shifted?  As far as I know their admission deadline was about the same as in years past.  

I understand why UC Riverside is late, but University of Chicago is a surprise.

Maybe decisions are harder this year for some reason.  Maybe Chicago had weather issues that closed the campus for a few days (my parents live in that part of the country, and they've been having a lot of snow this winter).  Maybe there are administrative issues.  Maybe the review is just going slower than in years past.  It's hard to say, but I second your surprise that they haven't released results yet.

Maybe decisions are harder this year for some reason.  Maybe Chicago had weather issues that closed the campus for a few days (my parents live in that part of the country, and they've been having a lot of snow this winter).  Maybe there are administrative issues.  Maybe the review is just going slower than in years past.  It's hard to say, but I second your surprise that they haven't released results yet.

Lots of possibilities, for sure.  If anyone has information particular to University of Chicago, please post it!

The early January severe weather did affect U Chicago, delaying the start of winter term classes, which if I recall correctly was scheduled for January 7. Who knows if that affected the admissions process, though. Like you said, it could be anything. Many schools on the semester system that start two weeks later release results around the same time.

yeah Chicago's making me especially anxious - I had expected as much that they'd have announced something earlier, which itself, the pure delayed expectation, is probably the source of the anxiety moreso than their being one of my top choices.

I definitely thought you were asking for the location of the school at first, haha. After all, I remember visiting Boston College some years ago, and one of the first things they said there was, "We're not actually in Boston, and we're not actually a college" (which is technically true haha!)

I definitely thought you were asking for the location of the school at first, haha. After all, I remember visiting Boston College some years ago, and one of the first things they said there was, "We're not actually in Boston, and we're not actually a college" (which is technically true haha!)

Not actually a college? Why?

Well, Boston College is a "university," which is not the same thing as a "college," by some uses of the words.

In higher ed, a university is the term for the entire school, whereas the college just refers to the undergrad portion. If it's only an undergrad institution, the whole thing is called a college. Versus, for example, Harvard University, which has a law school, med school etc. but also Harvard College, where the undergrads are. 

I bet BC originally had no grad students, and then they never changed the name (because Boston University was already taken).

Edited by philosophe

Where are the results from University of Chicago?  It's about a week after I thought we'd hear from that department.  Does anyone have any connections with the school or know whether their internal timeline has shifted?  As far as I know their admission deadline was about the same as in years past.  

I understand why UC Riverside is late, but University of Chicago is a surprise.

This doesn't really seem that surprising. It's just a little over a week after their 2013 and 2012 decision dates. Looking at the spreadsheet you made of the 2013 and 2012 dates (which I really appreciate, by the way), it looks like (roughly) 22 schools released decisions less than a week apart the past 2 years, and 23 released decisions a week or more apart. I didn't count, but it seemed like most of those were 10+ days apart. I would guess the depts that look fairly consistent for the two years have the same kind of variability, because I would guess that adcomms schedule their meetings around the other things they have going on, with a rough idea of when they'd like to get decisions out by but not much more than that. Is there a reason you think they stick to such consistent internal timelines?

(Also UC Riverside doesn't really seem late? They got decisions out really early last year but on Feb. 17 in 2012, so this seems well within their range...)