Really Confused what to do, HELP PLEASE.!

smoker05

Hello all, 

My name is Shashank Gupta and I am doing Bachelor in Computer Application from PTU. I really want to do my Master's in Computer Science from US , but it is not possible because they want 4 year bachelor degree. So I tried with Canada and good University like Toronto or Alberta , York etc. require 4 year of Bachelor degree. Now I went to one consultancy name "Edwise", they told me something about SPP in Canada. SPP is Student Partner Program and the colleges which comes under SPP are all Govt. Recognized Colleges, so the Quality of Education is good. But the main problem is that, these SPP Colleges accept 3 Year Bachelor Degree ( which is good, I am happy) , and they don't have Master program. They will teach us the Post Graduate Diploma which is 1 or 2 year. So what I was confuse like, Should I really go and spend around 20 lakhs and at the end of the day I am getting a post graduate driploma. Not even Master's Degree. 

Coming to Europe, I don't really want go to UK just because of Jobs problem specially for Indians or International students. I am left with 3 country in which I can try, which are Netherlands, Ireland and Sweden. 

Now the main problem with Netherlands and Sweden is the language problem. I have few friends studying in Netherlands, and they say that except 1-2 Companies, every company require a guy who can speak dutch. Sames goes with Sweden. But coming to Ireland, first of all the whole country is English speaking country. Secondly, they accept 3 years bachelor degree. (Every Country in Europe accept 3 year bachelor degree). But if you think in respect of IT , then I really have limited knowledge about how is the country reputation in IT Field. So if you guys know let me know about Ireland.

Coming to Australia and New Zealand. Australia is too costly and it is out of my budget to honest. I have a limited knowledge in New Zealand and what are the IT Sector there, but I have heard they provide Post graduate diploma for 1 Year to make it equivalent with 4 year degree and then you are eligible for Master Degree Coursework. 

So I really want help from you guys, I am just confused what to do. Help please. 

Thanks a lot. 

If you want to go to Ireland, Trinity College has a high reputation. There is also a lot of IT industry in Dublin, but cost of living is rather high.

When you consider Europe you should really look into countries that have no tuition, e.g. Germany. A lot of schools here offer Master programs that are only in English. I don't really think the language problem is that intense as you describe it. In my last job I had a colleague from Prague. who didn't speak German at all. He was a good software engineer, that was what mattered

You could also consider doing a bachelors degree in the US. Maybe they will transfer your credit and you can finish it in a year (like people coming from a community college)? And then you can persue your masters. Not sure about that though as I am not American, maybe somebody else can comment on this.

If you want to go to Ireland, Trinity College has a high reputation. There is also a lot of IT industry in Dublin, but cost of living is rather high.

When you consider Europe you should really look into countries that have no tuition, e.g. Germany. A lot of schools here offer Master programs that are only in English. I don't really think the language problem is that intense as you describe it. In my last job I had a colleague from Prague. who didn't speak German at all. He was a good software engineer, that was what mattered

You could also consider doing a bachelors degree in the US. Maybe they will transfer your credit and you can finish it in a year (like people coming from a community college)? And then you can persue your masters. Not sure about that though as I am not American, maybe somebody else can comment on this.

Thank You Double Shot, for your Reply. 

You sure, Germany is good place for IT? 

I have already been thinking to try for Trinity college. 

I would really like to know more about IT in Germany.

I am finishing up my MS in CS at a top school in the US following a 3-year Bachelor degree in Computer Science outside of the US.

How are you so sure that you cannot apply yourself to the US?

Edited by ironmaiden

And can you give me few University names which offer Computer Science in English in Germany. 

Thank you. 

I am finishing up my MS in CS at a top school in the US following a 3-year Bachelor degree in Computer Science outside of the US.

Can I talk with you , I also wanted to know. Please help. 

And can you give me few University names which offer Computer Science in English in Germany. 

Thank you. 

For example university of Saarbruecken has an American-style graduate school: http://gradschool.cs.uni-saarland.de/

I am pretty sure that most TU9 Universities also have programs in English. For example I am considering applying to this one: http://tu-dresden.de/die_tu_dresden/fakultaeten/fakultaet_informatik/sysa/se/master/?set_language=en&cl=en 

For example university of Saarbruecken has an American-style graduate school: http://gradschool.cs.uni-saarland.de/

I am pretty sure that most TU9 Universities also have programs in English. For example I am considering applying to this one: http://tu-dresden.de/die_tu_dresden/fakultaeten/fakultaet_informatik/sysa/se/master/?set_language=en&cl=en 

Thanks for your reply, 

I think I will apply for Saarland University. 

What other country will you recommend other than Germany for CS. 

Can you tell what school you have done your MS in CS?

Edited by smoker05

I am not sure how you got the idea that Europe only requires a three year Bachelor?

I cite from a random Dutch technical university the requirements of an Indian degree:

To be considered for admission to an MSc programme applicants should have a (minimum) 4 year Bachelor's degree from a mainstream university (state/federal or ‘deemed' institution) passed with First Class Distinction or First Class.

I am not sure how you got the idea that Europe only requires a three year Bachelor?

I cite from a random Dutch technical university the requirements of an Indian degree:

In Germany the bachelor is usually three years. But you are right, requirements for foreign students might be different. 

In Germany the bachelor is usually three years. But you are right, requirements for foreign students might be different. 

I know. Due to the Bologna process most European three year Bachelors are of a comparable level. That does not change the fact that an Indian three year degree is not equivalent to a Bologna Bachelor. It is no different than the four year US degree that is equivalent to the European three year Bologna degree. Likewise a four year Indian degree is equivalent to a three year Bologna degree.

Edited by Kleene

Can you please give me the name of the School from where you are doing MS in CS? 

Can you please give me the name of the School from where you are doing MS in CS? 

I don't want to be rude but you should really learn how to google stuff like this yourself. Normally, the graduate schools have a list of degrees they accept. 

For example here http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions/instructions.html ("A note on foreign degrees").