Florida Schools

Courses are very doable. I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old, so its doable with other commitments.

Thats great to hear. Are you doing the full time cohort? Also, did you apply to other grad schools besides USF?

Did anyone else get into FSU?!

Yes! I couldn't believe it when I saw the email!

Are you planning on attending the preview day? I would love to meet others in the same cohort. Or is it more for students who are not sure they are accepting the offer?

- Long time stalker of gradcafe, first time poster :P

Edited by camani

Yes! I couldn't believe it when I saw the email!

Are you planning on attending the preview day? I would love to meet others in the same cohort. Or is it more for students who are not sure they are accepting the offer?

- Long time stalker of gradcafe, first time poster :P

It might be made for students who aren't sure, but either way I'm going! Like you, I can't wait to meet other people in our cohort, not to mention see the faculty in person! I'll see you there! :)  (My real name, so you'll know me, is Creigh.)

Has anyone heard anything from USF? I heard one of my classmates is accepted but no other news. It is making me anxious. I don't even know how acceptance emails work. Does everyone get emailed at once? Or does it happen at different times?

Hi guys,

I've been accepted to New College of Florida to pursue a BA in Psych.

I want to eventually get my Masters in SLP, but for all the schools I'm looking at (USF, FAU) I

have to get pre reqs done after I get my BA.

Do you guys know of any SLP programs I could take online, in or out of state, so 

I can get these credits done during my four years? I really don't want to have to spend more time after my BA before I can get my MA.

I feel so lost.

I am actually a current UCF undergrad student and I absolutely love it. My friends in the grad program are also very happy with the program and I love the professors.

I am still waiting to hear back from UCF for Fall 2014.

I was, however, accepted into USF for Fall 2014 and I am so excited! I know less about that program so I am a little hesitant to accept.

I was accepted into USF for Fall 2014! I am so excited! I know about 3 of my classmates who have heard back from them.

I spoke with one of my professors at UCF and she told me that UCF has only accepted about 3 students thus far and are still working on applications. My friend is actually one of those 3.

If accepted, I'm not sure which one I would pick! I love being a Knight but I've heard great things about USF's program!

Hi guys,

I want to eventually get my Masters in SLP, but for all the schools I'm looking at (USF, FAU) I

Do you guys know of any SLP programs I could take online, in or out of state, so 

I can get these credits done during my four years? I really don't want to have to spend more time after my BA before I can get my MA.

I feel so lost.

If you can I would get a BS or BA in communication science disorders. I have my BA in psych from FAU and i tried my hardest to incoorperate the pre reqs into my degree and it didnt work out due to course load. I ended up applying to past bac programs bc unless you have a 3.8-4.0 in your out of field degree its difficult to get into grad school and very competitive. MY advice is to get your first degree in Communication science disorders for sure if you can. If you cant, you'll end up doing a post bad program which isnt the worst but just takes up more time when you could have already been in grad school. 

Hi guys,

I feel so lost.

Hey, I would scratch doing the BA in Psych and check out UF's Bachelor of Health Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders. It's open admission, ie as long as you meet the requirements you get in. They admit Fall, Spring, and Summer. And it's all online.

Why does UCF take forever to answer?!!! I see some people are getting random emails of their admissions decision. Why is this taking forever!!! :(

I'm a student at UCF right now, one of my professors said that admission committees are still meeting and if you haven't heard anything not to worry. I know one of the members was sick a couple weeks ago so that may be what's holding it up.

I'm a student at UCF right now, one of my professors said that admission committees are still meeting and if you haven't heard anything not to worry. I know one of the members was sick a couple weeks ago so that may be what's holding it up.

Thanks for your input, that was reassuring. I appreciate it :)

I'm deciding between completing an online post bacc through UF or an online 2nd bachelor's in CSD through USF. I think I want to go to UF for my Master's but I figured that if I completed the 2nd bachelors, I would be able to apply to more schools, just in case. If I just do UF's post bacc, I'd be missing pre-reqs for schools, including USF, UCF, and FSU. I'm basically looking to hear from someone who is completing/has completed either of these programs. I assume the 2nd bachelor's would be a little more intensive (it's 2 more classes total), but I wanted to get some feedback. I've been accepted to both programs, so it is time for me to make a decision, but I don't want to go in blind! 

I'm deciding between completing an online post bacc through UF or an online 2nd bachelor's in CSD through USF. I think I want to go to UF for my Master's but I figured that if I completed the 2nd bachelors, I would be able to apply to more schools, just in case. If I just do UF's post bacc, I'd be missing pre-reqs for schools, including USF, UCF, and FSU. I'm basically looking to hear from someone who is completing/has completed either of these programs. I assume the 2nd bachelor's would be a little more intensive (it's 2 more classes total), but I wanted to get some feedback. I've been accepted to both programs, so it is time for me to make a decision, but I don't want to go in blind! 

I would do the second bachelors. Especially if its only two more courses. It will take you the same amount of time to do the second bachelors at USF vs the post bac courses through UF. I was taking post bac courses at FAU and decided to switch to a second bachelors through USF before i got any further because it would take the same amount of time and money yet I would get a second degree out of it making my application look ten times better coming from in field rather than out of field with just the pre reqs. I havent started yet, but was just accepted to USF second bachelors online! Unless you have a killer gpa in your undergrad thats the only way i would consider doing post bac instead of second bachelors. I chose second bachelors for the reason that my first bachelors gpa was only a 3.1. Hope this helps!

I would do the second bachelors. Especially if its only two more courses. It will take you the same amount of time to do the second bachelors at USF vs the post bac courses through UF. I was taking post bac courses at FAU and decided to switch to a second bachelors through USF before i got any further because it would take the same amount of time and money yet I would get a second degree out of it making my application look ten times better coming from in field rather than out of field with just the pre reqs. I havent started yet, but was just accepted to USF second bachelors online! Unless you have a killer gpa in your undergrad thats the only way i would consider doing post bac instead of second bachelors. I chose second bachelors for the reason that my first bachelors gpa was only a 3.1. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards the second bachelor's also since like you said, it's the same amount of time and money. I have a pretty good gpa from my undergrad so I think I'll be okay in that area but hopefully a 2nd bachelor's looks better to a school regardless. 

Hi, UF does offer all of the pre-reqs required for Masters admission. The extra courses in USF's program are just your clinical observations, which you can do on your own terms. The coursework is the same whether in a 2nd Bachelors or not. One is not more challenging than the other.

quote name="gator8" post="1058123206" timestamp="1395864374"]Thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards the second bachelor's also since like you said, it's the same amount of time and money. I have a pretty good gpa from my undergrad so I think I'll be okay in that area but hopefully a 2nd bachelor's looks better to a school regardless.

I'm a native Floridian who went to UCF for undergrad and I've also visited both UF and FSU. Any of you can email me if you want to talk at length about advantages vs. disadvantages of living in Gainesville, Tampa (USF), Orlando, and Tallahassee. Maestra.rae@gmail.com