SLPA

I was told by my professors that an SLPA position would be my best bet to gain hands on experiance within the field. Asha and state boards in the state of New Mexico have very strict laws about slpa's I have to take graduate coursework and be supervised by a liscensed slp at least 20% of the time. Penalty for practicing above my certification is a felony. I think it has been an amazing experiance and i definitly feel more prepared for graduate school and the clincial experiance. 

I agree, being an SLPA gives you a ton of hands on experience to help you prepare for your career. And it can be a rewarding career if you don't want to continue on to grad school. Many positions also offer competitive pay and full benefits, which is huge when preparing for or going through grad school (trust me). This is one job search site that I've noticed consistently has SLPA positions open: http://www.progressustherapy.com/browse-jobs/speech-language-pathology to give you an idea of some of the perks but I'm sure there are more out there.

I'm an SLPA - I've been at this job for about a month and a half. SLPA jobs are super rare in my state (WA). When I applied it was the only SLPA position I could find in the entire state. But I was looking online the other day and found like 10 SLPA openings, so I guess it's growing fast! I graduated from undergrad in 2014 and spent last year applying to grad schools and didn't get in anywhere (except for one school that accepted me and then called me right back saying oops you're missing a prerequisite, never mind). So I'm hoping this experience will make me a more desirable candidate? I'm still worried my grades aren't good enough though, but I'm not sure how to retake any CSD classes because this job is out in the middle of nowhere. And I really can't afford to....