UIUC letter

nouat5

So I got the following letter yesterday in response to my application in PhD Mathematics at UIUC;

Dear Mr. ABC:

Our Screening committees have now completed their work and I regret that we will no be able to offer you any form of financial aid. We had close to 350 applicants and were only able to make 27 offers. Clearly, the competition was keen and we regret having to deny support to so many deserving students.

Sincerely yours,

XYZ

Considering that this was the first letter I got since the acknowledgment of application, I am thoroughly confused. Does it mean that I was rejected? Or I was admitted without financial aid? Could it be that I lost a letter of admission and this was the follow up?

I have been trying to contact UIUC, but to no avail.

So any suggestions or words of insight will be appreciated.....

It probably means that they don't admit students without giving them support and they could therefore offer support AND admission only to 27 students..

Do call them up if you can though!

This is how Yale treats PhD admissions. I'm sure other schools are also the same way.