Deciding between Computer Science and Biostatistics programs

Merlos

Hi All,

Since the past 6 months, I've been taking the required courses to apply for an MS in Biostatistics program. I thought that that's what I wanted to do...but I've found myself really enjoying one of my intro to computer programming classes. I was wondering if there are any programs out there that combine a Master's level in both? Or what the pros/cons would be for entering one or the other? I'm close to finishing the required courses for Biostats (one year of calculus and a linear algebra course), but I'm not sure what classes I would need for a computer science degree and if it would be worth waiting a little longer to complete those, too.  Any thoughts/insights are appreciated, thanks!!

I've heard of bioinformatics, but I don't know much about it. My limited understanding is it's life sciences meets computer programming. Dunno what your biology/chemistry background is like but it might be worth looking into! Different programs might have different prereqs

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely expand my research into programs to include bioinformatics. My background isn't as science-heavy as it is math, but maybe I could add those science classes into the pre-reqs I'm taking now...

I was a math undergrad, bioinformatics MS. I only had 1 bio course, 2 chem, 1 physics, no CS. I did have quite a bit of research experience in applied math that contained some CS components. I think that for MS degrees, you can get into decent bioinforamtics programs by showing an interest, even if you dont have tons of science coursework. My school offers courses to catch you up if you lacking in bio or CS. If you have any bioinformatics questions feel free to ask... I am really enjoying the field!

I came to suggest bioinformatics, too!

Also note that many statistics and biostatistics programs have a heavy computational concentration to them - even if the program is technically not a hybrid program, they expect you to learn programming and many other computer techniques like visualization, machine learning, database management.  Statisticians with strong computer skills are in high demand, especially in the Big Data field right now.  So you may be able to enter a PhD program in statistics or biostatistics and work with a PI who is doing research that blends statistics and CS, or work with two PIs - one in each department - on a project that blends that two fields.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Thanks again. I think that since I've already been so invested in the necessary requirements for Biostats I'm gonna keep going down that road. Knowing that there is opportunity within the statistics fields to work with research groups or PIs that blend the two is nice to know, and I will definitely continue picking up on the computer programming skills on my own!