Favorite Sociologists

gingin6789

Unfortunately a few of his big predictions didn't come to pass though  ;)

Which ones would you be talking about here? Marx can't be defined as someone who simply believed the workers would rebel and overthrow the capitalists. That summary of Marx is too narrow and doesn't demonstrate his changing views (not to mention it's a little played out by anticommunists and should be avoided by sociologists). I would argue that his biggest 'prediction' did come true--capitalism would continue to adapt and revolutionize itself to ensure its existence. As commodity fetishism chipped away at human 'nature,' revolution would prove to be more and more difficult to achieve.

.......Shane?

Comp's over, but I will only go back to liking theory when I have found out if I passed.

Haha. Nah, I'm an undergrad in history (but know and have worked with folks like Dahms and Shefner) so I don't think you'd know me. Going to do sociology in grad school, somewhere.... At least I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite sociologists (classical and contemporary):

1. Karl Marx (sure, he's not a sociologist, but there is sociology in Marxist philosophy).

2. Max Horkheimer

3. Erich Fromm (Ok, not a sociologist either, but his work at the Frankfurt School laid the groundwork for fusing sociology and psychoanalysis).

4. Pierre Bourdieu

5. Immanuel Wallerstein

6. William Robinson

I guess Max Weber gets an honorable mention because he influenced every one of these scholars, apart from Marx obviously.

Edited by Roll Right

Roll, I believe Marx to be an honorary sociologist. He's the philosopher who can hang (as in hang with us. Don't want anyone to read that the wrong way, or I'm just over thinking my phrasing). As a sociology and philosopher double major in undergrad, I lovingly approve.

And freaking Bourdieu. More like Bourdieu-tiful, am I right?? He's so amazing.

Edited by gingin6789

I'm a huge fan of Patricia Hill Collins. I got to meet her and get her to sign her most recent book back in 2012 at the National Women's Studies Association's Annual conference. It was amazing. She was amazing.

PHC!! got to hear her speak last spring, *swoon* was too nervous to speak with her afterwards... My thesis advisor wisely had her sign all of her books... She was going to bring just one, but PHC graciously told her to bring them all to be signed. She is a legend.

• 3 months later...

Ulrich Beck and Richard Sennett. They seem to know their stuff.

I lost a lot of respect for Beck after reading What is Globalization? and his various essays on cosmopolitanism.

His risk society stuff is interesting though.

Favorite sociologists (classical and contemporary):

1. Karl Marx (sure, he's not a sociologist, but there is sociology in Marxist philosophy).

2. Max Horkheimer

3. Erich Fromm (Ok, not a sociologist either, but his work at the Frankfurt School laid the groundwork for fusing sociology and psychoanalysis).

4. Pierre Bourdieu

5. Immanuel Wallerstein

6. William Robinson

I guess Max Weber gets an honorable mention because he influenced every one of these scholars, apart from Marx obviously.

I need to amend this. Fromm is out, Giovanni Arrighi is in. Read his book The Long 20th Century.