Masters Program, Anyone else feel strange?

Starsounds

I have a huge passion for what I am pursuing however, the past few years have been both beneficial and depressing. I went to grad knowing that I would have to get accustomed to being in solitude for weeks at a time. I love what I'm doing and I've been doing it since I was a child. At my undergrad I was full of energy but when I arrived to grad school all of that changed. I can't help but feel confused as to why I feel this way. Everything is going as planned, I'm here on full scholarship. Perhaps it really is the loneliness and the pressure of having to come up with research. All I know is that I feel lost. I feel disconnected in a way from the rest of the world. When I hangout with old friends from undergrad it's awkward. Even when I meet friendly new people, I can't seem to assimilate. I know I shouldn't feel this way. Everything "career-wise" is going fine. I just don't quite understand what is happening to me personality wise. I know people change. Anyways, What I am asking is… Have any of you been through a similar experience before graduation. Please feel free to comment. I would love to have some input. I hope I'm not the only one out there that feels this way. 

Thank You

I personally think this experience is not limited to graduate students. I have been through a similar situation as well, though I have not been to a grad school. It may be the solitude and pressure make you feel this way. I don't know exactly what kind of problem you are facing, but I can somehow understand you. It is just because you are growing. People grows to be of clearer mind about themselves and surroundings, to be more independent and tougher, so they just have to abandon some fantasies.

Welcome to the adult's world. You are just transforming to prepare youself for more responsibilities to take in the future. It's not easy, so be strong. Good luck with you! :)

I did my masters far away from home/where I did my undergrad and it took a while for me to get comfortable. My first cohort was far more focused on figuring out grad school than becoming friends (we also didn't perform or create anything as a group until the last teaching block). However, these were mostly external reasons and you haven't really mentioned similar circumstances. Getting into researching your specific interests can make socializing more difficult as you have to pull yourself out of the tunnel-vision of detailed research in order to communicate with others either not interested in the particulars or those who just really don't get why you're doing more school. For me, what helps, is finding/remembering other things about me that are super cool and that others will be interested in. It's difficult at times, but also reminding yourself that this is you growing and learning.

My favorite moment from my second masters was in a voice class when my tutor said a class of undergrads had been complaining and frustrated with understanding subject material (probably not knowing what the lecturer wanted). The professors response was to explain that the feelings of frustration were "the feeling of learning".

Good luck and feel better!