Questions about late applications

I made the decision to apply to statistics PhD programs in December, took the GRE and started submitting applications in January.  Most of the deadlines for the programs I submitted to had a deadline of January 15th (all applications were submitted before that day).  

My question is this: Does an admissions deadline mean that all materials must be received by that date, or that all materials have been fully processed by the receiving institution?  Some of these schools have 4-6 week processing times and I am worried I may not have made the deadline for any of the schools I have applied to.  Does anyone have any idea how this process works and to what extent I may have hurt my candidacy?  

Thank you for any input.

Pretty sure they want to have received it all by then and not necessarily processed it.  Normally you want your actual application in, your LORs should be in by then although those don't even have to be, and your GRE unofficials or official should be sent and on their way (usually pretty fast anyway).  Transcripts as well.  Other than that, you are good to go.  Best of luck, sounds like if you had everything started or submitted by the deadline it should all be there when they are ready to process it.  Best of luck!

I think programs are pretty flexible, and some materials arriving late will not hurt your application.

I submitted my Florida application on 2/1 (the official deadline), but my GRE score report did not arrive until late last week (and photocopies of my official transcript didn't arrive in the mail to the dept until early last week either). And my letters of recommendation were not all submitted until last Thursday (2/6) either.

Nevertheless, I still received a personalized e-mail from a professor yesterday indicating positive response to my application from the graduate admissions committee and asking if I was still interested in potentially joining their program. (I replied "yes, I would definitely consider it" and he said that I would hear back from him again very soon).

Edited by Stat Applicant

Agreed with peachypie, I think the application form itself should be submitted by the deadline and the application fee paid and all that, but the supporting documents can arrive a little bit late without any adverse effect to your application.

Best of luck.