Low GPA and OT grad programs

nikoli99

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this. I am new to the site and Just discovered it. I was hoping to find some good advice and maybe even help someone else in my situation in the process. I am about to graduate this spring after 6 years of undergrad (I changed majors then added a major). I will graduate with a bachelors in Health Science- Pre-OT and Psychology. MY current cum gpa is 2.89 but I am moving to get all As this semester which would bring me to a 3.01. My pre requisite gpa isn't the best and I am looking into retaking a few classes as post bac. I had personal issues my first few years of college and have always worked full time day and night jobs but there is a visible change in my transcript of grades shifting from all Cs my first semester to As and Bs to hopefully all As this final semester. I still have to take my GRE and get it shadow hours which I am currently setting up. My question from al of this is, what do I have to do to get into a Masters or even maybe Doctoral Occupational therapy program? Has anyone been accepted with a low GPA, what helped you to get accepted? Are there schools that look at only the last 60 or 90 credit hours or focus more on other things (GRE, LOR, ect.)? My passion in life is to work as an OT either with children or veterans in the VA. However I fear that my gpa could block me from doing this. I am currently inquiring into a particular school in SC for their MOT program and doing all I can to increase my eligibility. If I do not get accepted there I figured I would take a year off and work on shadowing, my GRE and possibly re take other classes. Do schools look down on it if you take a year off? And I have considered it but I can not see my self just going into OT assistance. I have over come a lot and worked extremely hard to get to where I am and really want to accomplish my dream of being a full on OT. Coming up on graduation this is something that is driving me absolutely nuts and I was hoping I would be able to get some feedback and advice or recommendations on schools to apply for. I realize there is a lot here but I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thank you very much y'all!

If you stay in the "The Lobby" forum here, there is a thread for those who have been accepted with a GPA below 3.0!  You might wanna check that out!  As for OT, specifically, there are sub-forums for individual disciplines within the "The Menu" category.  They might have an OT forum for you where you can find out more about OT programs!

[edit]

link to the forums with some OT info!

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/58-clinical-health/

[edit 2]

Oh, I see you found that forum!! Sorry!! I hope someone here can help you!!

Edited by gingin6789