Waitlisted Minnesota

I'm the person who was waitlisted via voicemail and that was for the PhD program. I was told that historically everyone in my position on the wait list has been accepted. Although I do want to wait and see if I am accepted, what the funding is, etc... there's a decent chance that I won't be accepting the offer when it's extended unless it's very competitive/attractive. I *love* the Twin Cities, but they are very far from home, making moving difficult (I have pets), and I already have a fully funded offer at Pitt that is looking very attractive at the moment. So it's fairly likely that at least one other person on the wait list for the PhD will get an offer.

If I'm accepted, I promise to decline as early as possible if that's my decision. I won't make anyone else wait any longer than necessary. 

Thanks Algernon (PS, I love that book). 

I got waitlisted for the PhD, what's everyone's subfield? I heard they have the waitlist for the subfield, and I think there are 4 or maybe 5 if they include drama. With that said, there may be 3/4 people waiting per subfield. What does everyone else think?

My subfield designation is 18th/19th century. And I agree that there are probably a few people waiting for each subfield. It's interesting that they specified the way they did-- certainly more informative than some other wait lists where you have no idea what the logic is.

Thanks Algernon (PS, I love that book). 

You're welcome! I liked it, too, though I haven't read it in years. It's actually more of a reference to Algernon Charles Swinburne than anything, haha, me being a Victorianist and all. I love me some Swinburne and Pater.

I was thinking Flowers for Algernon this whole time--I'm not a Minnesota applicant, but my thesis advisor did her Ph.D there and only has great things to say about the program. I wish the best for all of you!

Hi everyone! I have also been waitlisted for Minnesota. I'm not sure how the waitlisting works either. I just got an email that said I was waitlisted, that they "had a very large applicant pool this year and can only admit a very small number of students at a time," and that they "will keep [me] apprised as move up the list." And it included a YouTube video about English at Minnesota. (Also, FWIW, my subfield is 20/21st century and postcolonial studies.) 

Did anyone get a less vague email than that??

So how do waitlists actually work? Are they waiting to pick people of the lists for admission, or are we waiting for people who were accepted to pass on their offer?

As far as I am aware, being waitlisted means that the school has offered acceptance to all of their top choice applicants, and the waitlisters are their second choices. If enough top choices decline their offer, then the school begins offering acceptances to the waitlisters. 

As far as I am aware, being waitlisted means that the school has offered acceptance to all of their top choice applicants, and the waitlisters are their second choices. If enough top choices decline their offer, then the school begins offering acceptances to the waitlisters. 

In that case, that would imply that there was one person on the waitlist for each subfield, right? But, the problem with that is that you said you were the first for 18th/19th, but I'm a Victorianist too...so, I'm not sure what that means. I got the generic waitlist email mentioned above. I haven't had any acceptances anywhere else yet, so if you think you're going to decline, then feel free to do so, lol  ; )

Edited by BunnyWantsaPhD

In that case, that would imply that there was one person on the waitlist for each subfield, right? But, the problem with that is that you said you were the first for 18th/19th, but I'm a Victorianist too...so, I'm not sure what that means. I got the generic waitlist email mentioned above. I haven't had any acceptances anywhere else yet, so if you think you're going to decline, then feel free to do so, lol  ; )

I wasn't clear-- I meant that I think there are a few people on the waitlist for each subfield, and the waitlisters are the second *tier* of people they want to admit. I shouldn't have said "choice," that was confusing. They've admitted their top tier, and the second tier is just waiting to fill in the spots that the first tier turn down. 

The waitlist is broken down by subfield.  There are three subfields: medieval/early modern, 18th/19th, 20th/21st.  The waitlists are usually ranked by subfield with offers being extended in order as soon as someone who has been accepted declines.  As far as the standard funding package goes (this is on the website as well), it is a 1:1 load.  Usually first year everyone has at least one semester of fellowship and many a full year.  The standard stipend is $14,000 and excellent health insurance.  There are university-wide fellowships that provide opportunities as well.  Funding is guaranteed for 6 years, though the department usually finds support for 7th years who need it.  There are book scholarships and additional perks often offered for the first year.  Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone hear anything from Minnesota yet? Definitely seems a long time since that waitlist email.

Nothing here, and I was just thinking the same thing. I wonder if we'll have to wait until after april 15? I hope not because I have another offer elsewhere, but I'd prefer to go to Minnesota.

I think their perspective student visitation thing is this weekend or was this past weekend. So, maybe people will turn down their acceptances soon and we'll all get in? ...just trying to be hopeful!

I like the way you think! ;-)

Our prospectives visit is this week, so I would suspect people will start to hear things after that. We are on spring break next week, however, so that may delay notifications. I'm not sure.

Thanks, that's actually super helpful!