Georgia Tech - Graduate Living Center

TKassis

I'm considering my housing options for Georgia Tech. Has anyone lived in the Graduate Living Center dorms?

Each two rooms share a bathroom and each four share a kitchen. From what I found online is that for the same price you can have your own room, bathroom and small kitchen off campus. Are there any advantages I am overlooking? (other than being on campus).

Any ideas what the best option might be?

I have lived in Georgia Tech housing for 4 long years. I can tell you that the department of housing is TERRIBLE at tech. It seems like they go out of their way to screw the students. This may be different in the GLC, but I really doubt it, especially since they allow undergrads to live in that housing as well. The only plus side of the housing is the internet connection, it is ridiculously fast, but it definitely does not outweigh the negatives of housing at tech. I may be ending up at tech for grad school and I can promise you that I will not be living in campus housing this year. Some of the better areas to live would be the Vinings area and Virginia Highlands if you can drive yourself. These areas are relatively safe, and nice for a pretty cheap price. There are also some pretty decent apartment buildings in walking distance of campus, one that I hear really good things about is the post-biltmore apartments.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your apartment search. I hope if you decide to live in campus housing that you don't get screwed over nearly as much as I did for the last 4 years.

Thank you greekthunder76 for the advice.

From reading their contract it was clear to me that they were a terrible department. In short their contract can be summarized as 'don't blame us for anything and you have no right to leave'. Ridiculous. I've never seen a housing contract so inconsiderate, especially for a university. Campus housing should be for the interest of the student and nothing else. It should be cheap, convenient and flexible. At least that is the case with most universities I know.

I'll keep in mind the areas you mentioned. As I've never really been to Atlanta, I can use all the advice I can get about areas to consider/avoid.

I'm a native of Atlanta and so in fair warning in case your weren't already aware - the Georgia Tech dorms (UG and G) are right on the highway. So I wouldn't call them a nice place to live and aside from the noise level they're very unattractive to look at.

You can see it most clearly on these maps -

http://rss2007.informatik.uni-freiburg. ... orms-1.jpg

http://gtalumni.org/map/index.php?id=52#

I'm a native of Atlanta and so in fair warning in case your weren't already aware - the Georgia Tech dorms (UG and G) are right on the highway.

Thank you BMCGirl10, I hadn't realized that before. Emm... well let me rephrase my question then;

Are there any reasons I SHOULD live in the Graduate Living Center?

I would say find an apartment to live in a nice neighborhood inside the city. It might be cheaper living outside the city, in say Lithonia for instance (nice, middle class area) BUT rush hour in Atlanta is a pain. From 7-9am and 5-8ish pm traffic is basically at a standstill on the highways. You creep along with everyone trying to get into and out of the city respectively. So unless you're an early bird with time to kill or a person who doesn't mind leaving Atlanta at 4pm everyday to beat the traffic the city's still your best bet just not the GT campus. :wink: